Indoor Azalea (a little long)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bluewing, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Anyone have one of these growing indoors as a potted houseplant?

I used to have a larger one years ago (bush size) from an acquaintance and she had it as a houseplant, but I'm not sure what kind of environment it was in. It was full of flowers though when it was given to me.
    I kept it in my living room, but I guess it was too warm and dry because it lost a TON of leaves which had turned a dry crispy brown. I finally got rid of it after a while because it looked pitiful, all dryed up from I'm pretty sure, low humidity, the soil was kept on the moist side.

This one in the pic below (took quick pic outdoors for the light, went right back in garage) It was a gift plant that I received last year summer (4" pot) It just recently opened one flower so far, with a few buds yet to open. Because of the problems I had with the other one, I decided to keep this one in my semi heated garage, no more drying leaves! It lost a few when it was brought into the garage last fall, but then it stopped after a few weeks. It sits right up to a north window...

I do have a few questions....

I want to change the soil in the spring, what's the best soil for an Azalea? Reg houseplant soil be ok as long as it drains well? Would orchid bark mix be ok? Garden soil? Straight peat?
    Right now it's in straight peat, the same peat it was in at the nursery. I know they are acid loving plants and I do have some acid plant fertilizer for the spring.

Any suggestions would be appreciated:)

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cool, bright and humid. One shown needs a bigger pot. Like other flowering pot crops these are often shipped out and sold with the intent that they will deteriorate and be discarded, in the same fashion as cut flowers. Pot sizes and potting media used may be quite unsuitable for conditions away from the commercial production facility. As with potted miniature roses the azaleas may often dry out very quickly after purchase and catch consumers by surprise.

3. Bluewing

Thanks Ron!

I think the conditions are good as far as cool, bright and humid. In the house it would die a sloooow death. Your right, it definitely needs a larger pot and new potting soil for sure, I just didn't want to disturb it now that it's flowering. Peat is very well draining, but like you mentioned, it can dry out rather quicker, so I've been keeping close tabs on it checking the soil every few days, so far so good.
    I guess I will go with some reg potting soil next time around.

Thanks again!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Avoid an alkaline mixture.

5. Bluewing

Ok, will do, thank you Ron!