Indoor Avocado

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sarahlynn1313, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sarahlynn1313

sarahlynn1313 Member

this is my avocado tree started from a seed.

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Neat! Growing avocado from seed is fun, I have a few from seed that I intend to use as rootstock. They normally take 10+ years to produce fruit.

sarahlynn1313 likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I am curious how you use the avocado seedling as rootstock . . . do you have time to explain?

4. Will B

Will B Active Member

Sure, rootstock is the bottom part of a graft. In a graft you take one plant, such as an avocado grown from seed, and you graft another plant on it, such as a known desirable type of avocado (a Lila avocado tree I have in my case). Here is a nice link on grafting: Grafting - Wikipedia ...

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I understand the concept of rootstocks and grafting and the fact that the rootstalk may offer an advantage to the variety grafted onto it. Why would an avocado seedling one might grow from a grocery store avocado pit be preferred for a Lila avocado tree?

6. Will B

Will B Active Member

For quick propagation of an existing Lila avocado. At the time I started the rootstock I did not know it was possible to successfully root cuttings, so I made the rootstock to make new Lila avocado plants. I have since rooted several cuttings successfully, but still intend to graft the seedlings to experiment and observe any differences.

7. sarahlynn1313

sarahlynn1313 Member

That sounds awesome! Right now I have apple and lemon trees starting.

8. Will B

Will B Active Member

Very nice! It's fun to grow things from seed. Keep in mind apples do not come true to form from seed. Usually apples from seed are not too good, but quite rarely you may end up with a good apple from seed. Lemons do usually come true to form from seed, but they usually take 7-10 years to fruit.

9. sarahlynn1313

sarahlynn1313 Member

My 3 year old son loves growing them from seeds.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  10. Will B

Will B Active Member

Lovely! My toddlers love helping around the greenhouse as well. I think it helps them realize the wonder of nature to see such things as the birth of a beautiful plant from seed, or the harvest of a marvelous fruit: 20181125 103006 | Aprici gallery

sarahlynn1313 and Daniel Mosquin like this.