Wildflowers: Indiana Woodland plant ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pathe, Apr 11, 2013.

1. pathe

pathe Active Member

These two? plants are fairly plentiful and growing in a wooded area in early April. Both are less than 4 inches in height. Plant B has thick, fleshy stems. Photo plant _B_02 appears to be the pre-flowering stage of plant_B_01, but I'm not 100% sure. Plant A has mottled leaves. I'm not sure if the two photos for plant A represent one species or two, since plant_A_02 has base leaves that more broadly shaped and less lobed. Any hint as to what these plants may be is appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

1. Hydrophyllum macrophyllum.
    2. Geum sp.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. pathe

pathe Active Member

Yes, no doubt that the 1st photo is Hydrophyllum macrophyllum (Largeleaf waterleaf) and the 2nd is Geum canadense (White Avens). So they are indeed two different species. I also agree that 4 is most likely Dicentra cucullaria (Dutchman's Breeches).

I now believe the 3rd photo is a different species. So the 4 photos actually represent 4 different plants of which the 3rd remains unknown.

Many thanks. Hopefully someone can identify that 3rd plant.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Something in the umbellifer family for the third.

6. pathe

pathe Active Member

Yep. A search in that family found that it's almost certain to be Erigenia bulbosa (Harbinger of Spring) considering the tiny size, salt and pepper flower, environment, and the time of year that it's in flower. Except for the Waterleaf, this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of the other plants.

Thanks everyone