Identification: Indentification of Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Stan Willis, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Stan Willis

Stan Willis Member

I have 2 types of mushrooms growning in my yard. My mother knew the difference but I never learned the art. I have attaced pictures of the 2 types. I hope they help. The larger is growing under a crab apple tree and the smaller white lacy type is growing next the porch. I have never seen the smaller one before.

Thank you

Stan Willis

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Since it was growing in your lawn, my guess is something in the genus Coprinus for pics 1 & 2.

I'd guess something in the genus Agaricus for pics 3 & 4.

Wouldn't want to venture a guess as to the species without seeing each.

3. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

I would hazard a guess of Agaricus xanthodermus - Yellow Stainer - for the larger fungus : in the 3rd photo you can clearly see the classic chrome-yellow bruising towards the margin. NB Poisonous to some people! Ingrid

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

that was my primary guess, but could it also be A. silvicola or A. californicus, two other yellow staining agarics?

5. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

A. silvicola appears to have a more dull general yellowing of the cap/stem, whereas I thought the photo showed the 'chrome yellow bruising towards the margin' quite clearly, mentioned in several of my fungi guides for A. xanthodermus (smell would help identify - ink for A. xanthodermus, aniseed for A. silvicolor). But I could be wrong! I don't know or have descriptions for A. californicus, I only have UK fungi guides/experience. Interesting tho', will explore further on the web......