Included in sale @ Las Palmas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Palm Nut, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Palm Nut

Palm Nut Active Member 10 Years

We recently bought a house and look what came with the sale. Plus, what I had in pots already. The banana in the back was mine I added. The fonds in the third picture seem to be drooping quite low and touching the ground more than when we first moved in. We're debating on whether to cut them off.

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

DON'T cut your fronds while they're still green. Even yellowing fronds are still suppling palms with the last of what will produce a healthy specimen tree. Wait until they're browning before trimming.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

So were the plants part of the purchasing decision?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with LPN - keep those drooping fronds. Not only for the health of the plant, but they also make a palm look so much more graceful. If the fronds are cut off they look hideous.

5. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

how long does it take a palm to establish a small trunk like those ones. i have a palm with about i'd say a good foot and a half of solid trunk where the fronds reach up to over 6 feet tall. how long will it be before i start seeing substantial trunk growth like those palms ?

6. LPN

Under most growing conditions with periodic fertilizer and routine watering in summer, about 4 years on average.

Here's a small grouping of three palms I planted in the spring of 2003 as one and two gallon sized palms. The second pic shows them now, the largest is over 6 feet tall 4 years later.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

LPN...thats pretty good growth for your climate!! I presume Vancouver Island is in Canada??

Ed

8. LPN

"I presume Vancouver Island is in Canada??"

A good assumtion Ed ... yes it is. The western most part of Canada off the coast of British Columbia. It's the largest island in the eastern Pacific, 208 miles long, 78 miles at it's widest point and and area of 12,408 sq. mi.

Cheers, LPN.

9. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

i have a one gallon sized windmill palm in sitting in a pot that i got really cheap at nursery here in abbotsford, is it too late to plant it now? they told me they guarantee windmill palms as seedlings (i think they are slightly crazy).

10. LPN

Alot depends on the severity of your winter there. Here they'e fine outside even as small germinated ones. It's not unusual for seeds to germinate over the winter months just lying on the ground. Autumn is a great time to plant. Soil is warm and plenty of time to root down before winter. Keep some burlap on hand and wrap it around during a nasty spell (if you get one) and remove it asap once the weather breaks. Once it gains in size over the course of several years, that procedure may not be required.

Cheers, LPN.