Importing plants/seeds/trees

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by shiroto, Mar 20, 2008.

1. shiroto

shiroto Member

Howdy!

I would like to import some seeds/plants/trees from U.S. and other countries (oh, by the way, I live in Vancouver, Canada). I believe there are lots of red tape things (quarantine, e.t.c.) involving importing seed/plants/trees. I visited the goverment's website, but, as we all know, if you are not familiar with their jargons, it's very hard to understand. Could anyone help me how to import seed/plants/trees, or recommnend me any good websites to visit?

Thanks!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if you don't understand the info on their website, i'd suggest calling your countries' agency to have your questions answered.

it's not easy at all for canadians to import from the us. it's almost as difficult now (as opposed to a few years ago) to export from canada to the us.

generally, seeds are easier to do as there aren't and soil issues associated (hidden bugs, fugii, etc).

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Even if you speak to someone, it seems somethings are open to interpretation or each inspectors whim in some cases. It can be frustrating dealing with these agencies even when crossing provincal boundaries.

4. palustris

palustris Member

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Go to the CFIA website, follow the links to the "Automated Import Reference System" (AIRS). You can search by genus and species names to determine the import requirements. With all your paperwork in order, you still have to broker the shipment: you can hire a broker, or do it yourself at the border. DIY is a little tedious, but not that bad: basically filling in forms, waiting around for approval, possibly enduring an inspection, and paying the necessary taxes. Only real hitch, everything being in order, has already been mentioned: the seemingly subjective discretion of inspectors at the border. Definitely pre-clear your shipment with CFIA: basically, fax your invoice and phyto copy to the CFIA ahead of time, this will speed things at the border. Follow the steps, do it well ahead of time, and most of the time there isn't a problem, in my experience.

6. shiroto

shiroto Member

Wow! Thank you very much for everyone for the information!
    I'll visit the recommended websites right away!