Asian Garden: Impatiens omeiana

Discussion in 'Photographs' started by Daniel Mosquin, May 30, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

UBC Accession #34937-0598-1999
    Photo by Daniel Mosquin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  2. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

This is (was?) beautiful, Daniel. I feel foolish not knowing what is a #34937-0598-1999.

Also foolish because no one else since 2003 has wondered.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Chuck - that's the UBC accession number - you can learn more about it here: UBC BG Accession System (PowerPoint presentation)

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Are there any plans to extend the Accession System to include the approximate location of plants for viewing ?

5. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

Thank you. I have found more information on I. omeiana. Is it a rampant spreader at UBC?

From Gerald Klingaman at University of Arkansas extension: "Impatiens omeiana, the hardy impatiens, is a new plant to the garden world, having been introduced from China only in 1983. It grows about 16 inches tall with unbranched stems arising from slender, wide-spreading rhizomes. Colonies reach 2 feet across in two to three years. It has the watery stems of all balsams and dies to the ground with the first frost."

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/impatiens_10-21-05.htm

Also, from Missouri Botanical Garden: "Grow in moist, well-drained soils in part shade to full shade. Naturalizes by stolons in optimum growing conditions. This plant should be sited in a protected location in the St. Louis area where it may not be reliably winter hardy. Native to China, perennial impatiens is a spreading perennial that typically grows to 15” tall and features narrow-elliptic, dark green leaves with a white strip on the midrib and yellow snapdragon-like flowers that bloom in early autumn."
    http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A774

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. Daniel Mosquin

Well, I have to write the fundraising document for mapping the garden this week, so yes. The internal database we currently have does include the locations of plants by bed, which is fine for smaller beds, but horrible for large beds.

7. Daniel Mosquin

I've not noticed it - it's formed a small colony of plants, but it doesn't appear to be seeding anywhere, so it looks like it is spreading by stolons as mentioned in one of the sites you cite.