Impact of Grey Water on Trees and Vegetation

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by SJF, Nov 19, 2007.

1. SJF

SJF Member

We are in some what of a heated debate where we camp outside of Calgary about whether grey water has any negative impact on trees and/or other vegetation. I would appreciate any feedback and or links to sites that deal specifically with this issue. Thanks a bunch!!!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There's potential for any sodium salts in the soap to build up in the soil and cause salinity problems. I don't know if this is a significant problem or not. Some soaps use potassium salts rather than sodium; they would be better for plants (no idea how you'd find out if the soap is sodium or potassium based though!).

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

As mentioned, salts would impact plants and the soil micro-organisms.

Unless no products are added to the grey water - which I have yet to hear of.

It would be an interesting experiment to do, to just soil, to see what occurs to the soil condition after a period of a year or two.

4. haul0348

haul0348 Member

Grey water from sinks and showers would be fine but washing machine grey water would be questionable depending on what you use detergent,bleach,etc.

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Does this camp ground not have utility sinks intended for the disposal of gray water?