Ilex paraguariensis from Seed

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by HyphalKnots, Aug 10, 2008.

1. HyphalKnots

HyphalKnots Member

Hello. I would like very much to grow Ilex paraguariensis, i.e. yerba mate, but have had no luck yet. I tried growing the seeds in a porous medium, which I kept damp, with a heat mat below and a humidity tent above and waited about a month. I finally examined one of the seeds and nothing had happened. Any suggestions or ideas how I can sprout the seeds next time? Many thanks.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The seeds of many Holly varieties take 1-2 years to germinate. - Millet

3. ErikAgaric

ErikAgaric Member

Bump

Has anyone had success with this plant yet? I've been trying but can't seem to find much info on germinating it.

4. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

The usual method of germinating stubborn seeds is to give them an artificial winter by
    storing them damp in a baggie in the refrigerator for 3 months and then at room temp for 3 months and repeat. You'll know when to plant when the root radicle appears.

This technique (developed by Dr. Deno of Penn State) is quite effective for Ilex.

You might want to get Dr. Deno's books on seed propagation.

Ray

5. InFlight

InFlight Member

Yes, I have heard they require a cold period and take at least three months to germinate. I have been trying to find some seeds/plants and am wandering if anyone knows where to obtain them in Canada? Thanks