Identification: Identify this plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by scotsman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. scotsman

scotsman Member

hi all, i'm new to forum, and new to indoor plants, i got this as a gift, what is it?

[​IMG]

2. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Scotsman!

It's a schefflera, and a very nice one. I wish we had laws down here that let us keep our dogs AND our kids in a cage!....... :)

3. Mrs. HoneyBear

Mrs. HoneyBear Member

Hey hungry hippo: This was one of the plants that I lost. It started to die almost a month after I got it. I have three kids would they have something to do with it? It seemed to go in section. This part then that part. Insight would be great especially when I read your comments about dogs and kids...hmmmmm?

4. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Sorry, it was a feeble attempt at "humor" (and in retrospect was probably inappropriate) in reference to the framed photo next to the plant in the image. I'm sure that Scotsman is a kind and loving parent and pet-owner.

As for your schefflera, it could have been any number of things that killed it. They are very easy to grow in a semi-tropical climate, but rarely thrive without fairly constant warmth and humidity. Cold draughts and overwatering will make them drop leaves at an alarming rate. They are also very susceptible to scale and spider mites.