Identification: Identify this Acer please.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jabberwocky, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Member

Hi All ,I have just joined this forum ,as there are no decent forums here in the uk that appear to be able to help me ,I have taken an interest in Japanese Maples (Acers) after being gifted a small yelow leaved maple about 10 years ago . i was never told what variety it was but looking online I believe it to be a "Japonica" AUREUM, but have limited Knowledge of Maples in general . I love the tree ,its around 10 yrs old and currently about 26 inches tall ,beautiful golden leaves each spring that turn light (bright) green until the late summer ,when they turn orange ,by then they are usually showing signs of damage leaves shrivelling . I need to put move it behind one of the larger "red" acers to give it a more dappled shade I think .anyway ,I would be grateful if anyone can nail down exactly what variety it is exactly .i have also consiered the possibiity of it being a sharawasanum ,but all the pictures I have seen show red viens and edges to the leaves ,and my tree has clean leaves ,no fringe colours or discoloured veins etc . ?
    http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh635/titchy991/DSC_0026.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes that would be Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ditto, Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'.

Formerly known as Acer japonicum 'Aureum', the UK nursery trade has been slow to adapt to the name change. I think most plants are now sold with the correct name, but that was certainly not the case 10 or 20 years ago.

There is a thread on Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' in the photo gallery here if you want to compare some more images: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2360

4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Member

thanks guys ,that explains a bit ,when i first got the tree the only one I could find that looked right was called a "Japonica Aureum " ,I did not know the two were in fact the same . i have rather taken a liking to the Acer family in general since ,though this plant was my favourite ,I have a 12 ft red Palmatum ,and a cut leaf Palmatum too .recently I have been gathering seeds together from Maples in nearbye parks and gardens (with permission of course) and my first batch of(trident Maples ) are just 4-5 inches high .
    In my fridge I currently have seeds for , Buergerianum, Circinatum, Japonica ,Palmatum (blood) and Palmatum Dissectum.
    So I will probably be asking advice on them soon . they are looking good so far.