Identification: identify before it dies!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Oct 23, 2004.

1. I'm sorry I don't have a photo to attach, but here's my story. I bought a large houseplant in the spring, but it didn't look so good after I brought it home so I put it out on the porch with my other houseplants for the summer (Wisconsin). It did very well with basically no care what-so-ever. I just brought it back in and the leaves are falling off at an alarming rate. I'll have to describe the plant. It has a cluster of cane like stalks (ranging from 1/4" to 1 1/2" in diameter). Even when I purchased the plant the "canes" seemed very loose in the soil and still are. The leaves are very unusual in that they are very delicate looking. Almost fern like in their appearance. They are dark in color and shiny, but very lacy. They give the plant a very airy look. They are also turning brown (not dry, but brown/black) and falling off. Giving it an even airier look than it's supposed to have! I just want to know the name so I don't kill it. I'm not very good with houseplants (my usual houseplant upkeep regime is "water, fertilize, hope and eventual replacement). I've never seen this one before and really like it, so I'd rather try to skip the last part of my process. Thank you in advance.

2. A Polyscias, perhaps?

Sounds like it got too cold before you brought it back in. I've read that true tropicals can be damaged by temperatures in the 50s, I don't know how the plants felt but one of the coldest winter days I've spent was when it got to 59F in Honolulu.

3. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Or possibly a dizygotheca? I have seen them shed their leaves at an alarming rate at the slightest trauma, or even getting too dry. Does it look like this (or rather, did it)??

Attached Files:

• diz.jpg
      diz.jpg
      File size:
      126 KB
      Views: