Identification: identification please

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by omnithought2004, Feb 26, 2007.

1. omnithought2004

omnithought2004 Active Member

i don't know what this is i got it as a present

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Do you have a description, or a picture?

3. omnithought2004

here is some pics sorry thought i posted them

Attached Files:

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Omnit,
    From the photo it looks like an ANTHURIUM???

5. omnithought2004

thanks bluewing i think you right

omni

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Leaf veining and texture wrong for Anthurium. May not even be an aroid.

7. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Looks like Alocasia species.

8. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this one is not an anthurium. It is most likely a hybrid called Homalomena 'Emerald Gem'. I've found sources that claim Homalomena sp. grows best under very low room light. Others claim it needs very bright almost direct sunlight. Some say to water it only occasionally, others water it often. So I elected to turn to some plant scientists in Florida for reliable information. These folks grow the plant as a tissue culture (clone) in order to make it readily available to the plant enthusiast. These growers recommend conditions similar to many orchids: bright filtered light between 75% and 80% along with a normal room temperature. In zone 10 the plant will survive well outdoors in temperatures as low as 55 degrees and high as 95 degrees. An aroid, it is related to the anthurium and philodendron, but is neither. Homalomena is found in nature in both South America and Tropical Asia. Unfortunately this one does not produce a beautiful inflorescence and spathe (flower) like many of it's relatives and is grown primarily for it's heart shaped leaves. The plant does however produce a small unremarkable green inflorescence (flower). The approximately 4 inch (10cm) leaves can spread 18" to 30" (45cm to 75cm) and will sometimes (rarely) grow as wide as three feet. If you're growing the plant in your home it makes a beautiful interior plant with it's dark green waxy leaves and compact growing habit. Homalomena sp. will in fact tolerate low light but don't expect it to flourish. Humidity is said to not be critical, but being found in nature in humid tropical conditions it will certainly appreciate high humidity as well.

Homalomena does not like cold air, and some say it does not even like cold water. Protect it from drafty conditions. It must have well drained soil and if it's roots are not subjected to excess wetness (wet feet) the plant is fairly tolerant of root rot and other disease. This one is not propagated easily but will reproduce itself given good conditions.