Identification: Identification help

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Andy Atkins, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Andy Atkins

Andy Atkins New Member

I need help with the name of this anthurium if possible. From Oaxaca, Mexico, Sierra Madre de Oaxaca, altitude of approximately 6500- 7000ft. Cloud forest. Epiphyte, occasionally terrestrial. Mature leaves (see attached photo) are about 30" in length overall. Plant approximately 3 ft tall, 4 ft wide. Orange fruit.

Attached Files:

2. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

It could be andicola, or maybe cerropelonense

3. Andy Atkins

Andy Atkins New Member

Thank you bahai. I thought it might be andicola, but International Aroid Society account indicates it is much smaller (37.5 cm) than mine (at 76 cm). and cerropelonense didn't seem nearly as deeply lobed as mine. Could these differences be chocked up to species variation?

4. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't know...there are a lot of Anthuriums that look like that just on the face of it, but the location is the key. Have you ever heard the relatively new information about some of the Cardiolonchiums that grow in both Southern Mexico and just over the border into farther South America? The exact same plants, but they will not pollinate each other. They are just genetically different enough, even thought they seem identical and should be the same, to reject each other.

5. Andy Atkins

Andy Atkins New Member

I have not heard of this, but I'm not surprised. I'll have a closer look at the locations of the two you suggested. Thanks again!