Ideas for new maples in my garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sun, Jul 27, 2020.

1. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic I could move it up a littlebit, but my neighbours were not quite so happy when I planted the ornamental cherry on top of the hill, so I think I really must not plant another tree on top..

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@sun, I thought that area was being saved for the shade loving maples ?
    Beni Otaki is a different leaf and tbh a different red. Combining a variety of leaf types whether the colour is similar looks more natural.
    In nature you see sometimes a few reds close together and more often it works. Being too mathematical can sometimes look too planned if you understand my meaning.
    It's a bit like throwing down handfuls of flowering bulbs and planting them where they fall and not arranging them.

3. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , okay so I will continue to consider Atropurpureum for both places.
    The shade area will be this section:

4. sun

sun Active Member

20200821_174006.jpg
    Between the Catalpa and the big cherry.

And there is some shade spaces behind Nicholsonii on the right backside of the hill.

AlainK likes this.
  5. Acerholic

@sun , ahhh neighbours don't you just love them lol. Bank does mean on top of the hill. I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to walk beneath the Fireglow as it would be positioned higher. I do like different levels as again it can give a varied interest. But you don't want to upset your neighbours.
    I would not place Atropurpureum and Fireglow too close to each other at all. That would definatly take away the wonderful effect of both. Both these trees need green around them to make them stand out.

6. Acerholic

@sun Between the Catalpa and Cherry is perfect for a lovely red lacecleaf. I believe it would be at an angle to your dissectum by your pool.
    You do not need more height there IMO.

sun likes this.
  7. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic okay, so probably Atropurpureum instead of the Cotoneaster..
    And D, everything between the Catalpa and th big Cherry will be gone before the shade maples arrive. The whole area has a depth of 5 to 6 metres to the fence, so I thought to put some maples of different sizes, so that they all can be seen from different angles. I hope this sentence is understandable.

8. Acerholic

@sun that is perfect A. Different heights and colours will look like a mini forest there. You will have your own Kyoto!!!!!! It is always best to mix the hardier specimens with the delicate trees. Height gives these protection. Too many people forget about this theory and plant all delicates together.
    Good planning again A.

sun likes this.
  9. sun

sun Active Member

Acerholic likes this.
  10. sun

sun Active Member

AlainK likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@sun Wow you have been A. That is going to make a wonderful border. Are you going to shape it?

sun likes this.
  12. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, when I am sure they all like their places, I will plant and then see how it looks.

13. Acerholic

@sun A good plan. Get a good nights sleep, you must be shattered.

sun likes this.
  14. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Try and get your nicholsonii planted near or next to a strong yellow cultivar so they both play off each other during the fall. Both these trees are now growing closer to each other and show nicely during the fall , the nicholsonii is on a par regarding strong red fall colours you have a nice looking tree there.

Attached Files:

AlainK, sun and Acerholic like this.
  15. sun

sun Active Member

@ROEBUK , thank you, I am planning to plant Nicholsonii a bit to the left, a few metres behind and a bit elevated on the hill whereas Summergold will be planted on the foot of the hill. So the fall colours will be seen together like in your picture. Thank you for sharing this foto, it helps me visualise my planting situation.

16. sun

sun Active Member

@ROEBUK , btw, may I ask what cultivar your yellow one is? I just wanted to add, that there is a big gingko behind the Nicholsonii as well, but it usually gets its fall colour very later at the end of october, so I am not sure if Nicholsonii has dropped its leaves by then.

17. Acerholic

@sun good morning A, hope you slept well. Regarding yellows to go along with Nicholsonnii, a lot of Autumnal yellows are in fact green all Summer. Just thought I would point that out.

18. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic @ROEBUK
    Today I cut down the big Forsythia on the hill, first I wanted it to stay as a dark green background, but it was so big in any direction that she took too much space that could be used for maples orherwise.
    Then I place the new maples there for visualising.
    Maybe I will put a Dissectum viridis in the middle and in front of the Fireglow and Summergold, to have a real autumn yellow.
    20200822_145141.jpg

Koto no ito is standing a bit in front of Summergold, but I could also replace it by Tsuma gaki, what do you think?
    I just thought it would look good to have a different leaf structure as well in that area.

AlainK likes this.
  19. Acerholic

@sun good afternoon A, I like that idea and to have different leaf types will give so much more interest. As far as adding Viridis is concerned, to gradually have to raise your eyes in a vista is very important in planning and this can be kept at a low height to ensure this is always the case.

I like how you have placed Fireglow, as it increases in size the grass path next to it will give the impression of mystery beyond and add distance to your garden.
    Have you noticed how your eyes are drawn to it already. Going to look good A.

sun likes this.
  20. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , I just finished cutting down all the bushes along the fence where the birch is. Tomorrow I will arrange the maples I have planned there and post a foto. Do you think Tsuma gaki will be more orange or yellow with a lot of sun?

21. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, I also love the group on the hill. I can also see it from inside.

22. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, btw the big tree behind the hill is an Acer rubrum October glory which is awsome scarlet red in October, and on the left is a Liriodendron aureomarginata which is yellow in fall.

23. Acerholic

@sun good afternoon A, Tsuma gaki stays quite green in all positions tbh. It's a stunning red in the Autumn. So do consider this when planting. You really don't want it next to an Autumn red.

sun likes this.
  24. Acerholic

@sun , the hill area is going to look amazing A.

sun likes this.
  25. Acerholic

@sun, then the Rubrum October glory will be the main point of dramatic colour, so you really don't want a red beneath it. Or in that line of sight.

sun likes this.