Ideas for new maples in my garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sun, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@sun good afternoon A, that's an interesting cross section of Cottoneaster. But it is the heart wood and normal so nothing to worry about. It is not Verticullum. I have attached a link for you by the RHS so you can compare the two.
    Verticillium wilt
    The area you are clearing is going to look amazing with your new maples. They will love the dappled light from the larger trees.

sun likes this.
  2. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , thank you for the good news and the link!
    I also think that it will look nice. The birch is standing in the north of the maples, so the shade will mostly be provided by the ornamental cherry, but IMO the birch is lovely and it fits quite well to japanese maples.
    Of course it will look even better once the chicken coop is gone, but my chickens are very happy and healthy at the moment, so that will take a while...

3. Acerholic

@sun, I agree birch trees and maples go very well together. I have 4 Betula Snow queens. The shade they will give my maples in future years is one of the reasons I planted these last year. I am constantly looking for shade giving trees these days, even more than adding to my maple collection.
    I really think that everyone should now be planting trees to give shade and also to help cool this planet of ours, but that's another conversation.

sun likes this.
  4. Acerholic

@sun, just though I would say, 'have a great time' at the Maple nusery. Sounds like you are very well organised, so you have nothing to worry about. But as I said before, I will look out for any posts from you if you need extra reassurance.

sun likes this.
  5. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic ,thank you D, that`s really kind. I will arrive there tomorrow probably in the early afternoon. I keep you updated!

6. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, good evening D, today I picked up this little beauty at 4 p.m.
    20200818_200955.jpg

Together we travelled half the way to the nursery. Tomorrow at 6 30 the rest distance.

I tealized I have much more space in there than I will need:)
    20200818_200846.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@sun brilliant A, all ready for the big day. Plenty of room for securing the new acquisitions safely.
    Enjoy all the maples tomorrow and try to not let your heart rule your head. It is easily done!!!!

sun likes this.
  8. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , I know, my plan is to look and see tomorrow, maybe to decide on 3 or 4, then sleep over it and then definitely decide on Thursday. I will not take anything without knowing where to put it.
    Now I go to sleep as tomorrow my tank and I will be on the road again at 6 45...
    Good night!

9. Acerholic

Forgot to answer this one A, sorry. Yes I think Beni Yubi gohon would look wonderful there, it's full of interest as a Linearilobum and a lovely red, being a dwarf it would also not crowd the space and block light to your windows.
    Sorry again for not replying.

sun likes this.
  10. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, thank you D, I have for some rason no mobile internet since I am in Germany, but I have Wifi now...

11. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic I spent 6 hours in the nursery, I wanted to see all the cultivars that I have only seen on fotos before. They have 5 hectars of plants, and it was very hot. I have kind of decided on some plants and want to choose the others tomorrow.
    Concerning Atropurpureum, I haven't stumbled upon them yet, but Christian Nielsen will show them to me tomorrow. But he told me that Atropurpureum is a quite inexact term which includes a lot of seemlings as well and doesn't guarantee exact characteristics. So I cannot be sure that they are like your tree.

12. sun

sun Active Member

Many od the Reds have turned green during the extreme heatwave last week. By the way it is still hot now.One of the cultivars that did turn least green of them all is actually Fireglow. They have quite a lot of them. Do you think if I do not find an Atropurpureum of my liking I should take one of them. Most of the specimens I have seen there had a nice habit, too.

13. Acerholic

@sun, that was a thorough look around A. Regarding Atropurpureum, it is always from seed so I totally understand Christian Nielsen' s comments. The one thing as you are choosing by sight and not by mail order, you will see the tree for yourself. If it is red now, then you can guarantee it will be red for you at home. But remember to keep it's red it should receive a lot of sun. If the nursery keeps them in shade the colours will look a little different and possibly show some green in the leaves and possibly some start of a little yellow as it is nearing Autumn.
    Tomorrow look for good strong branching and check underneath on the pot to see if the roots are starting to show. I prefer to see some roots trying to escape on a new acquisition. The roots tbh are everything when buying a new tree. Bad root structured trees at a nursery or garden centre should he avoided.
    Can I ask the name of the nursery again please A ?
    Always useful to know if people ask.

sun likes this.
  14. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic ,I would like to show you the plants I have kind of decided.

Beni Otake
    20200819_181303.jpg

Autumn Moon in front of Beni Otake
    20200819_181312.jpg
    The rest is coming, wifi is very slow.

LoverOfMaples, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  15. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic It is Baumschule Nielsen,
    they have loads of cultivars that aren't on their online shop, but I had them on my list and they showed them to me. I have to ask about Beni Yubi gohon and Ariadne tomorrow, I didn't see them yet.

16. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, they said this summer with extraordinary heat is unusual. Most the reds are in sun, but nevertheless or because of it? they turned green within a week in the extreme temperatures, like they do not usually. So if the Atropurpureum is greener than the Fireglow, shoul I rather take Fireglow in this case?

17. Acerholic

@sun was typing when you sent the latest message. Fireglow is a wonderful tree and should hold it's red all Summer as long as it again is given enough sun. It will, get to 4 mtrs quite quickly.
    The two trees you have chosen look very nice and more importantly they look healthy. Both are making a lot of new growth and as you say it's hot, so that is showing the root structure is good.
    Both are a good size to enable a strong start in your garden at home.
    Hopefully the nursery will wrap the branches for you for transporting. Many a large branch has snapped taking it home.

sun likes this.
  18. sun

sun Active Member

@ Acerholic They wrapped them up extremely carefully last time, they were as new when I came home.

19. Acerholic

@sun that's good. Nothing worse than to open the van doors to see broken trees. I just looked for Mr Sun on their list btw, but it appears it is out of stock. They might have received an order from me, lol.
    Have a lovely evening.

20. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic I show you the rest

Hana Matoi:
    20200819_181227.jpg

Shin Deshojo:
    20200819_181243.jpg

Shirazz is not pink at the moment, more cream and green, was in a foliage tunnel in sun, do you think the habit is okay?
    I send it in the next post, it takes forever...

AlainK likes this.
  21. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic I have seen a small one and one of about 70 cm today, but I have also seen Grandma Ghost, and in their shop it is said to be sold out.I think they only offer the ones online where they have many...

22. Acerholic

@sun, that Shindeshojo will brighten your garden next Spring like nothing else you have seen.
    The Hana Matoi I would like to see the weeds removed to see the root flare, weeds can cover the over filling of pots and hence trunk damage to a young tree. If you decide to buy this one do pull the weeds away to check, but overall it is a nice size. This is quite an airy cultivar if you get my meaning, so it might look a little sparse, but that will change over the years when in the ground.
    Shirazz photo didn't come through A.

23. sun

sun Active Member

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

@sun thanks for letting me know A.

25. sun

sun Active Member

Shirazz they have only this one.

But generally you think the habit of Shin desh. is okay? I will do the weeds away, he didn't plant to sell Shin Deshojo yet.