Ideas for new maples in my garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sun, Jul 27, 2020.

1. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, first you do not have to apology for replying "late" because late is more than one month later which would also be okay because this is actually not your job but a big favour you do me, so please do not feel pressured by my interrogation technique, I have been like that even in kindergarden(and cannot help myself).
    Second, if I had your knowledge about maples I think such planning which I have to do to have a chance to get it right would not be necessary. I will also talk to the people of the nursery and tell them which habit and height I would like to achieve. Hopefully they can also advise me. And if you happen to be online when I go and chose them I might be so cheeky to send you some fotos as well to hear your opinion on some trees;)

2. sun

sun Active Member

@acer, Glad you think the spot fits for the "Dancing Peacock"

I will update my lists and post them soon, thanks a lot and good night!

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@sun, of course A, if your at a nursery and I'm online, that will not be a problem. Do not worry about interorgation techniques. Yours is a lot nicer than I've been used to!!!
    Good night to you also.

4. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, I am like Columbo, there is always another question;)

For some of the shade loving maples I count on this ornamental cherry which is about 10 metres high. What distance do you think I need to leave from its trunk so that a japanese maple will thrive ?

And do you think I could put a ***. maple in between Orange dream and Cornus kousa Milkyway? Ukigumo? Or something smaller? Morning sun till about 11 I think...I think in this case I would have to also prune these two to keep them small, wouldn't I? Milkyway is supposed to be 4metres and 4 metres wide?
    20200805_130627.jpg

20200805_111009.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

@sun, if you work on the basis of the drip zone you can't go far wrong.
    Your Cherry will give wonderful shade and compliment your new maples really well.
    And between the Cornus and Orange Dream, 'DEFINATLY'. An Ukigumo will look special there as long as it gets enough shade. 1100hrs is fine for sunshine. I don't think you will have to prune anything looking at your photos, at least for several years and then some artistic pruning can be done.
    Near the Orange dream I would prefer a deep red, but that's just me.

6. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic I think for shirazz as well, as yours also gets sun till 11? I know it's not a deep red, but I have not decided on its place yet, but maybe a smaller one would be better?

I think I need to be careful to save the shadier spots for the ones that I cannot put in full sun as I do have much more shade maples thatn shade spots.

I am looking for information on Beni shishihenge and on Phoenix, but I cannot find a cultivar thread. Do they maybe have different names?

7. Acerholic

@sun, here is one. Acer palmatum 'Phoenix'.

I agree it is very easy to to buy and buy and then realise that you have too many for the wrong positions in your garden. Plan plan plan.

sun likes this.
  8. Acerholic

sun likes this.
  9. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic Thank you D!

There are some cultivars on my list which for me seem to be in the same group concerning their colours throughout the year. I try to remove maples that maybe are too similar as I definitely need to reduce the overall number.
    Do you think I should open different threads for my 4 groups . I would be happy if people would share their experience with these maples and tell me which ones I can remove.

For example

Group 1: Red/Pink in spring:

Phoenix
    Beni Shichihenge
    Shin deshojo
    Corallinum
    Wilson`s Pink Dwarf

Or even a better one?

I would be interested what others think is better

#considering colours not only in spring but throughout the year
    #habit
    #where do they get the best colours?

10. Acerholic

@sun, I would do a thread on red /pink in Spring giving the location ie shade or sun. State that you only want one or two at the most, out of the selection you have made, these enthusiasts on the forum are more than likely to say all of them, lol.
    If it were me I would say, 'what maple would you chose for this area', then give your few choices in the text and your other question, together with a photo of the part of the garden you are talking about.

But do remember, what others suggest, might not be to your liking a few years down the line. You will surprised at what you chose will be the best for your garden.
    Hope that's helped a bit A.

sun likes this.
  11. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , okay I will do that, but I will tell them to give me their choice for sun and then their choice for half shade/ shade as I cannot say where I will plant it . That will depend on which other cultivars I will get and also how they look best in different combinations. I think as I know me I will switch the places for a long time till I can decide , and then I will buy some later and probably start to switch them again and so on...

12. Acerholic

@sun, I hear you, so consider keeping them in a pot until you are 100% certain. Easier to move a pot than to dig up!! Just a thought A.

sun likes this.
  13. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , yes, that`s what I thought, but I will have to ask you about your advice concerning keeping them in pots as I have not much experience on that. But I will do that later...

14. Acerholic

@sun, of course not a problem A.

sun likes this.
  15. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, good afternoon D, I was just visualising my future maples along our south border. That's when I got worried about the 15 metres high birch planted at the neighbours garden only 1 metre from the fence. All our flower bushes are doing very fine under the birch though...
    We plan to remove all the bushes, plant the narrow hedge along the fence and then plant the acers with at least 2 or 3 metres distance from the hedge. I am just wondering if it were a good idea to put a root barrier of 80 cm along the fence for about 8 metres where the birch is standing to avoid that its roots dominated the hedge or the maples. Just because the birch also has a shallow root system...

What do you think? I do not really want to leave more distance to the birch as we want some amount of lawn left between the maples and our pool.
    On the other hand I am always worried (as you already know;)) that my maples will grow too big, could the birch keep them within some boundaries?
    Probably it will be shirazz, autumn moon and beni otake (froom left to right) that will be planted right in front of or a bit under the longest birch branches.
    Have you experience with a situation like that?
    20200812_154852.jpg

16. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, I have another question(as always)...
    Do you think the space between my Seiryu and my orange dream would be a good spot for Shin deshojo or Ariadne, I think it will have sun till about 2 p.m and then again after 6 p.m.

20200805_090704.jpg

17. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , and here comes question number 3 (sorry):
    I cannot decide what would look good on this spot, probably a little bit more to the right.
    Rhyu sei as a column, or maybe a weeping Dissectum very high grafted or something like Beni hoshi ( but I think it will be too wide eventually) , I think it shouldn't be wider than 1 metre in the end and not higher than 2 metres. And it should be pretty throughout the season as we can see it from the living room.

I also considered Ariadne at this spot, but I also think it will get too wide.

Btw it has sun from 9 a.m. till late evening.

Do you think Beni yubi gohon could fit?

Of course I could also put a non-acer...
    20200814_180822.jpg

18. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , I forgot to say that I mean the spot where the Hibiscus is standing now, but I'm sure you guessed that.

19. Acerholic

@sun, good evening A, the Birch will have a strong root system and if you cut these in the Autumn it will not effect the tree at all. All that will happen is that it will grow new fine roots.
    I have never worried about a route barrier, but some do, mainly near drains and swimming pools etc.
    IMO trees have to fight for their own root space. As long as you give each tree the right amount of room they will be fine.
    Regarding Shindeshojo or Ariadne, either will be fine. My Ariadne takes full sun with no problem at all. My Shindeshojo has morning sun and afternoon shade. The main thing is to split the colours so they don't clash.
    Hope that has helped.

sun likes this.
  20. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, thank you D, I have rented a Renault Master for my shopping trip to Germany. However I will have to chose which ones of my list I take with me and which ones will have to wait, difficult decisions!

21. Acerholic

@sun, Oh that is really serious maple shopping A. Have they come back to you with a list of what they can supply from your list ?

22. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , yes, they have everything which was on list one. I am not sure if they also have everything of list two, but that ones aren't urgent.
    They have most of them in bigger sizes as well.

23. Acerholic

@sun, sure the Renault Master is big enough A, Lol.
    Really looking forward to seeing what you come back with !!!

sun likes this.
  24. sun

sun Active Member

25. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , good afternoon D, I have begun to cut down the bushes on our north fence to get a better idea for space and to have spots in the shade where I can put some of the maples when I come home from the nursery.
    That`s how it looks now.
    20200817_162345.jpg

I would like to show you the brown colour in the middle of a cut of a big cotoneaster bush that gets a lot of red berries every year. It always has looked healthy. On the weekend all of the bushes have to be cut down but today I just took 3 branches of this one and one of them looked like this.
    20200817_152253.jpg

I am not worried for this one, as it has to go anyway. But if it is Verticillium I am worried for the maples that I want to plant there.
    What do you think? Or could it be some other fungus hopefully one that maples cannot get infected with? As I said the bush/tree looks quite strong and healthy atm.