ID Please

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Siam Orchids, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Siam Orchids

Siam Orchids Member

We discovered this plant the other day at a backyard nursery in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. I can't confirm what it is.

I'm thinking Anthurium or Aglaonema. It's got a small spath, a lot of roots on the stem, huge berries, minimal suckering.

I was told (by an expert) that it is Culcasia Mannii but it's not a vine. The plants grows on a stem.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does look like a Chinese evergreen.

3. trikus

trikus Active Member

It is Culcasia mannii .

4. Ron B

Syn. Aglaonema mannii.

5. Siam Orchids

Siam Orchids Member

Thanks, Ron & Trikus.

Ron: "Syn." = Syngonium ?

6. Ron B

Synonym.

7. trikus

trikus Active Member

What made you think it was a climber ?

8. Siam Orchids

Siam Orchids Member

To clarify: The pictures that I've seen of Culcasia Mannii appear to me to be a vine, not an upright plant. But on aroid.org, the on C. mannii picture, the berries look exactly like this plant.

I'm in the plant business (almost 40 years) and I went to some experts for their opinion and I still haven't gotten an ID that I feel 100% comfortable with.

Philodendron Karsteniana looks like C. mannii too. It's got me stumped. It's got a lot of confusing characteristics. I'm going to have someone at Kasetsart University look at it next week. Then I'll probably know the Thai name but not the English one.

philokar.jpg is the Karsteniana. 1315.jpg is the mystery plant.

Attached Files:

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

Philo. karsteniana , mmm that pic that loks exactly like the one from Asiatica web site .
    They mention another name is Monstera siltepecana ... it does look a lot like a climber I think is Monstera dilacerta . It is a climber that gets large pinnate leaves when mature , but has beautiful bullate leaves when young . Will have to find out more about that Philo , as I have seen a plant almost identical but much more glossy foliage . Your mystery plant is C.mannii I have seen many , and every part matches .

10. Siam Orchids

Siam Orchids Member

Well, with that level of confidence. Culcasia mannii it is. But what is it doing in Thailand ?

The P. Karsteniana picture is from Barry Yinger's nursery. I figured he wouldn't mind my using it for this purpose.

Meanwhile, I have it in a lab here and it's almost ready to start selling. After 5 years, we may also have T/C Barringtonia without the seed available in commercial quantities.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Are you in the plant industry ?

11. trikus

trikus Active Member

Yes I have been working full time with plants for the last 15 years .
    It can be very hard to get good information on the more obscure species , and so much incorrect information seems to be perpetuated by being taken up and republished without any checking . I searched Asiatica agin last night and the plant is now Monstera karsteniana ,, there was a Philo under that name , but I cannot find a Monstera .

12. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

Ill back Michael up on this one. Looks exactly like my Culcasia mannii that came from a respected Botanical Garden in the mid US.
    btw...anyone growing any other Culcasia species? At this time I have C. mannii and C. striolata but would be interested in getting ahold of some of the more rare species...not that any of them are all that common.
    Michael