Identification: ID Help Needed Please!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sunsetmeadowlark, Apr 14, 2005.

1. sunsetmeadowlark

sunsetmeadowlark Member

My mom gave me this plant last fall. It did excellent for the first several months. When she gave it to me it was a single stalk with leaves at the top. Within a couple of months I had 4 new "baby" stalks growing near the base of it. About 6 weeks ago the baby stalks turned brown and fell off and now all of the leaves are falling off the main plant too! Since I have no idea what it is I don't know if I'm giving it proper care. All of my other plants in the same area are thriving and showing huge growth, even the notoriously slow growing plants.

I also have a few others pictured HERE that I'd like to know the names of for my own records. :)

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

HI there

ok the following plants are
    #1 chinese evergreen .. u can look it up on the net for the care on them ,,im not to good with them .. :)
    #2 Variegated Schefflera a reall touchy plant but yours look good
    #4 variegated peperomia .. u can stick a leaf in the dirt and start a new plant that way they r really easy to root .. i have one
    #5 might b a type of Coleus
    #6 might b a creeping charlie .. couldnt really get a good look at it ..
    and i really like your wandering jew i have so many of them ..lol. but i love all my plants .. your a person after my own heart ..lol.. i love haveing so many plants..lol

good luck with all your plants ..

Marn

3. sunsetmeadowlark

sunsetmeadowlark Member

Thanks for the info, it's a huge help! Just curious, did you mean that variegated schefflera are hard to take care of or scheffleras in general? I have 2 large normal ones that never seem to slow down on growth but the little variegated one never seems to look great even though it doesn't look bad either.

I live in an apartment where I work but unfortunately, there are no windows in the apartment and also no yard. So I've taken over one corner of the store for my plants. I get those rolled eye looks every time I walk in with a new plant but I can't help it, I love them! Even I have to admit that 5 new plants in 2 days is a bit excessive but it's fun! I even have a small pond with goldfish in it along with them. :o) I've added a few pictures of my plant corner HERE The only one not in these photos is my large aloe vera. It doesn't like that window so sits on top of an aquarium near my heater vent and away from all windows. It's grown from about 4" to about 18" since I moved it over there.

4. Marn

i meant scheffs in general can b hard to grow .. they r just picky lil suckers .. but yours are doin good so dont move them or do anything diff that what u have been doin ..lol.. and the variegated ones grow a lil slower then just the green ones .. anything var grows slower ..
    i know what u mean about the rolled eyes i get it to from my husband..lol.. i just love plants and now im running out of room in my house ..lol..
    just wanted to ask u is that a bolivian jew or a tahitian jew hanging there like a ball ..lol. ??.. i cant really see it to tell what it is .. i have both and my bolivian is growing like crazy it is almost in the kitchen sink .. i can barely touch the bottom of the pot if i want to move it .. i have to wiggle my hand up inside to touch the bottom of the pot .. here are some pics of my jungle .. :) .. in the bedroom both dressers are taken up and then the dinning room had a tall shelf that was taken apart and now it 2 wide from the window that is full of plants not to mention my dinning room table with plants and all the rooting jars ...lol.. I am hopeing to get a bigger place and bigger windows for my plants ..lol.
    also what photo storage do u use ??. i like how it is set up

Marn

Attached Files:

5. sunsetmeadowlark

sunsetmeadowlark Member

That's good to know on the scheffleras. Mine have done excellent so far but I'll pay a bit more attention now since I do tend to rearrange that corner a lot. I also didn't know variegated plants tend to grow slower but now I won't stress because the little guy isn't growing much. :o)

From looking at your pictures, it appears to be a bolivian jew. I just bought it as a wandering jew not realizing how many different varieties there were. It was a perfect ball shape when I bought it last week and you can see it's already turning into a tear shape. But I have it hung in a very high spot so the longer it gets, the better. I do need to repot it though and that's going to be a chore. The pot it's in is very small and doesn't have a drip tray so water gets all over everything.

Your plants are gorgeous! I especially like your jews and the fern. I know what you mean about a bigger place and more windows. That's my goal when we move, someplace with a large office that has lots of windows for my plants so I can sit among them while I'm on the computer. *G*

The photo storage is on my own website and I do all of the adding and updating with MS Frontpage.

Here are a few better pics. One of the jew, 2 more of the one you said might be a creeping charlie, and a couple of one other plant I haven't been able to identify. I got it as a birthday present a few weeks ago and it's already grown several inches. I have a hard time identifying many of my plants because I tend to pick them up wherever I can and many of them are rescues from people moving or yard sales.

Attached Files:

6. sunsetmeadowlark

sunsetmeadowlark Member

Oops! Forgot to add, if you want to you can e-mail me privately

7. sunsetmeadowlark

sunsetmeadowlark Member

I was able to confirm/identify the 3 pictured above. The one is definitely a bolivian jew, the second is definitely a creeping charlie, and the third is another coleus of some sort. Possibly "olive" but it looks darker than those.

8. Marn

hey there.. u r right on the bolivian .. it is the same as mine .. the second one i had second thoughts on it .. wasnt thinkin it was a creeping charlie/swedish ivy i thought mabyb a type f peperomia .. but if u can look at pics and compare with yours it would b better cause u have it there ..lol. and the third im not sure the one with the puprle in it .. i know i have seen it b 4 .. i have spent all morning here looking for the names of the plants lol.. most of them i allready know the names of...
    well u r just like me .. just love houseplants ..lol.
    good luck with them

Marn