ID for this bush please?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by lavenderflowerpot, Nov 9, 2004.

1. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

So far have been stumped on the ID of this bush . Apparently grows no taller than about 6 ft. Has maple-type leaves , produces blue- black berries.somewhat like a blueberry.

It has a name of "Cinnamon Bush" (in Nova Scotia) (common name?). Have looked under C. bush, viburnums , and so on.
    Apparently has no fragrance in the leaves or stems, flowers are creamy white in Summertime.
    One person had an allergic reaction of his face swelling up after he smelled the flowers .

Any assistance would be much appreciated !
    I have been searching around for nearly 2 weeks now , and have come to almost give up!
    To my knowledge it is not considered a "native plant"

Thank you ALL
    in gardening

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

This very much looks like a gooseberry (Ribes sp.) to me.

Daniel

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's a currant. Don't recognize which species from your description, if it's growing wild look at books or web sites that discuss the native shrubs of your region.

4. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

I think we are narrowing it down

Thank you both for your assistance.!!

After looking through Gooseberry varieties , and currants I think my N.S. friend is thinking
    "Ribes indecorum, White-flowered currant", after I sent a few photos to her .

This was not growing in the wild , a friend gave it to her from his yard apparently.
    Having a been told 'common name " of Cinnamon Bush they may have been referring to the bark colour .

So , I hope that this is resolved ! :) Once again thank you for your suggestions

..........in Gardening

5. Ron B

Might have something to do with Ribes odoratum being know as clove currant, on account of the aroma of its flowers.

6. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

Hi Ron, That is one idea I had considered too , but the odoratum bears yellow flowers, and we have been told that this one has white ones .

In fact I have now looked at White Icicle ribes, and it is possible that , if the stems do achieve that "purpley" shade .. then I think the flowers have been described much the same as the photos of "white icicle".
    At least if we decide it IS a Ribes variety , then there should be satisfaction!
    Thank you again.
    I believe that this has been a local mix up in making a common name for that bush , in the N.S.area.

in gardening .....

Caro

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  7. Ron B

Definitely a Ribes, definitely not an R. sanguineum (such as 'White Icicle'). Leaves do look like those of R. odoratum.