ID for 3 Herbs Please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Mr. Biggs, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mr. Biggs

Mr. Biggs Member

I have one plant that I have enjoyed when I was a youth and now I need to know what it is. It is use as a traditional Chinese soup. The soup is made from the leaves and stems and it's very bitter so it has to be sweetened somewhat. The other is grown from bulbs and it too is a herb. The bulb is used for soups however this is my first taste of this bulb.
    The bulb is taken from the plant shown in the 2nd photo. The 3rd photo is an vine in which I'm told that the leaves are edible. If someone can give me info on these 3 plants, I'd be relieved of the mystery surrounding these plants. Thanks!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The plant in the middle sure looks like a canna. I searched and found that Canna edulis is the source of arrowroot. I am not sure if that is the one you have though. Not sure if other canna are edible.

No idea on the other two.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  3. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

Will you post blooms later?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The first plant, based on your description of its leaves being used for soup and is bitter, may be Lycium chinense, Boxthorn. Does your plant have thorns on its older stems? Please report back if you find out the origin of another of its common names, Matrimony Vine. Rather curious since I believe this is a shrub and not a vine, nevermind the matrimony aspect.