id an orange blotch?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by gobo, Jun 14, 2003.

1. gobo

gobo Active Member

this orange growth has appeared on the leaves of a newly planted pear tree. does anyone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

orange blotch on pear tree leaves

It looks to me like caterpillar damage - I don't think it it too serious and may well be over now. westgate.

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

I would say that it looks more like Pear Trellis Rust to me... but it's fairly easy to decide if that is possible or not. PTR is a fungal disease that has two hosts - the pear and a juniper. If there are any junipers nearby (within a couple of houses or so) that is a strong possibility, and a serious problem. The spots should increase in size until August, and then swell up and produce fuzzy spore bearing structures. In a severe case, fruit and twigs can also be infected. This is a very serious disease because it can spread very quickly, and the Ministry wants to contain itin the Lower Mainland and Southern Vancouver Island region, as it would devastate pear orchards in the interior. The suggestion from the Ministry's Home and Garden Management Guide is to destroy the juniper before April 1st to avoid re-infecting the pear tree. I would also recommend raking up and disposing of all the leaves that fall from your pear in the fall.

4. gobo

gobo Active Member

i heard a similar pear-juniper rust diagnosis from a master gardener to whom i explained the situation. with nothing else to go on, i'm ready to accept it, although there are no junipers anywhere near the pear tree. i'm guessing that because it came from a nursery with scads of trees (art's tree farm in richmond), it may have picked up the rust from a juniper there. unless someone knows the life cycle of this rust (the tree was bought and taken from the nursery on may 15) and can say that it would be impossible.

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Pear trellis rust is extremely common in the Vancouver area, as junipers are also extremely common locally. Rust blisters can be a bit disconcerting when viewed up close, and when infections become severe, ultimately pretty grotesque.

You can get more information on this disease at this link.