I want a Foxtail Palm / Small yard issues....

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by garden_tink, Jul 2, 2007.

1. garden_tink

garden_tink Member

Can anyone who has a foxtail palm tell me how fast they grow and how tall and are they suitable to a small yard? I have a 2.5' x 3.5' quarter pie slice shaped planter that would accommodate a tree with a somewhat slender trunk, I noticed at the nursery even large specimens had slender trunks. My worry is this planter is surrounded by a brick patio, well away from the foundation of the house, will the roots eventually tear up my pathways? Do they have a deep or shallow root system? Is there an advatantage to planting in a smaller growing area to somewhat stunt it's size, is that possible? I really don't want another pygmy date, the diameter at their adult height would limit the use of the walkways and deck. Tall is good, just not too tall. We had to have a Queen palm removed recently due to it's fronds mingling with power lines, . Is the height of 25 to 30 feet the given numbers for optimal zone /conditions or just general? Also, I've seen in landscaping palms and other plants planted in the ground in their pots, what is this about? Input appreciated!
    Garden Tink in Southern California - Zone 10

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

The fronds on Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtail palm) are about 10' in length when it reaches full size. That's about a 20' canopy. A fast grower so once the growth goes skyward, you'll have plenty of space underneath again. It usually reaches about 30' tall perhaps taller in great age. Roots are well behaved and won't break concrete or blacktop.

Cheers, LPN.