I need some help with my Jade plant please.

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Jcutty, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jcutty

Jcutty New Member

Hey Team,

Hope you are well and thanks for taking the time to read.

My Jade has had a rough time, so I just want to check I am on the right track to keep it going strong.

I took a branch from a HUGE tree, potted it and kept it in my room. The plant had good light and was very happy. It started growing new shoots and everything was fine.... then, my flatmate accidentally dropped something on the plant and broke a third of the branches and leaves. Then, when I went on holiday, my flatmate over water the plant.... a lot!
    I had recently re-potted the plant and 100% used the wrong soil, so the water wasn't draining and the plant started losing leaves, maybe 6+ per day and was just looking very sick.

Soooo, I have since replaced the soil, with a succulent specific soil, put stones in the bottom of the pot and I am keeping the plant outside (away from direct sunlight, as it is HOT in Melbourne at the moment). I am only water once every 2-3 weeks. The water drains well now.

There are maybe 12 new shoots and the plant feels strong. Before I would shake the plant and lose leaves, but now I can shake and no loss, plus the branches and leaves feel strong and full.

I think I have attached some pics (first post here, so trying to find my feet). If you need some better images, please let me know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
    James.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Jcutty

Jcutty New Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

There is about an inch high base of stones at the bottom of a 1.5-2 ft pot. I would prefer not to re-pot, as the plant has had a few re-pots over the last 3 months.
    Do you think it will be fine for another 6-9 months whilst it is getting strength back?

Also, what about the actual health of the plant?

Cheers.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It should be okay for now; it's a relatively thin layer for the height of the pot. I can't really comment on the health of the plant but from you description it seems to be on the road to recovery.

5. Jcutty

Jcutty New Member

Thanks for your help.