I need more info on jade plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Dec 7, 2004.

1. My jade plant fell to the floor and out of its cotainer as it was being lmoved off the floor.

I noticed that the root system was almost non existant when re-potting the plant. It is now limp, and the leaves are falling at the slightest touch.

Any chance of saving this plant that is 4 years old that had leaves measuring 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and was otherwise healthy before this mishap?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Re: more info on Jade Plants

Assuming your Jade plant (Crassula ovata; zone 8-9)was indeed a healty speciman before the unfortunate mishap, there are several things that you can do to try and bring it back. Ensure that you repot in a shallow earthenware container with good drainage, and not too much wider than original pot. Try to re-create the natural habitat where they originated, most likely South Africa; free draining, lots of natural light, water in the growing season and provide a cool, dry winter dormancy. Succulents prefer a marked difference between night and daytime temperatures, which is why placement on a windowsill is beneficial. Placing plants outdoors in the summer, June till September, is also beneficial.
    They often flower around this time of year, which is a nice bonus!
    Good luck.