I Need Help Picking An Office Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Fury2G, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Fury2G

Fury2G Member

I need help picking out a good office plant. I have an office with no windows. The lights are floresent but filtered by a thin plastic light diffuser. The lights are ussually on from 9-6 during the week and off during the weekend. I have noticed that other people inn the office, with plants, have also added a floor lamp in their offices that they turn on when they leave for the weekends. I could even add a timer to it.
    Any suggestions??
    I'm open to book shelf type plants or maybe even a floor plant.
    Thanks!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

With out any natural light you are kind of stuck. The plants most likely to survive are the "Snake plant" (Sansevieria trifasciata), the "Chinese Evergreen" (Aglaonema modestum), or Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aureum). Now be warned that you shouldn't expect much in the way of growth from any off these, and over time they will go gangly. Perhaps get 2 and rotate them between your home and your office?

3. Fury2G

Fury2G Member

Thanks so much for your help.
    I think I may try the snake plant.

4. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Hi, the plant that I think will be perfect for your office is a either a peace lily or Monstera delicosa ( splitleaf philodendron) I hope these suggestion will you find any of these plants.
    Wyatt Reinhart Mascomb,IL

5. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

Rhapis Excelsa, lady palm

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

For a floor plant i suggest a Draceana fragrans "masscanagea', they will take low light and can come in many different heights.

7. lxs

lxs Member

I'd suggest trying some cacti plants (if you have sun for at least 4hours a day at your office windows) and they are low maintenance. Your could also try "money-tree" (pachira) supposedly brings luck to your business. Hope this help, take care!

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most interesting office plant I've seen was a Chusquea coronalis bamboo. You'd never expect this exquisite cloud forest plant would take it at all, yet there it was on a shelf with no other plants in the room. There WAS a row of windows running along that side of the room, just above the level of the shelf.