Identification: I have these plants.......

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mushmichelle, Jun 1, 2005.

1. mushmichelle

mushmichelle Member

Ok, so I bought these plants at Golden Acre, I dont know what kind they are. Can anyone identify them for me please? There is the first one, its dark green with a cool pattern on the leaves (its currently dying). The second picture has two in it, in the top corner is one my son brought home from school, he said it was a _______ium. (Sorry I know thats probably not much help) and the other one I got at Golden acre. The third picture is just another view of the bottom plant in the second picture. Thanks anyone who can help!!

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

ok the first one i cant see clear .. if u could post another pic a lil clearer and closer . i might know it .. and the third one is a Variegated peperomia .. they like bright lights ..more like morning sun .. mine gets direct morning sun .. the one in the second pic in the top i cant see it either .. mayb a close up of that one might help ..

Marn

3. mushmichelle

mushmichelle Member

Ok, the first and second pictures are the little plant from school, the third is a picture of the pattern of the leaves in my first post. ( I cant figure out why this one is dying) I also posted another picture of a plant that my mom said was a diefenbachia (sp??) I cant figure out why it is dying either.......

Attached Files:

4. Marn

HI there ..
    I cant make out what 1st 2nd and 3rd pics are .. but the last one is a Diefenbachia .. or also known as a dumbcane .. they r toxic to animals and ppl .. they r a tropical plant .. try putting it were u get morning sun and watch for spider mites on this plant those lil bugs just love it .. and also mist it . it loves it .. when u mist it and if u notice a webbing on the plant then run the plant under water and use a insect spray on it to get rid of them and then keep an eye on it for a while cause they usually come back .and also mayb try lettin your water stand out over night b watering the plant .. sometimes that has a factor in it ..

good luck with it ..

Marn

5. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

6. mushmichelle

mushmichelle Member

Thank you so much for all your help...Joe, I thik you are right, it looks like a fittonia. The little one my son brought from school is a nasturtium?? Thats what he said anyways.... Does anyone have any ideas on getting these (or any) lol, plants to grow? This is what my fittonia looks like right now..... Its very sad.....

Attached Files:

7. Marn

fittonias are a very picky plant .. they r more for terrariums .. mist it or keep it on a pebble tray they like the humidity ..

Marn

8. Missychele

Missychele Member

I have a fittonia and it's doing great and if anyone can kill a plant it's me. It does go limp every now and then, but I just water it and it's back to life. How much light do these plants need? I just got it about 2 months ago and it seems to be doing fine, but it is in a rather shady area of my home. The only thing I can manage to keep alive are philodendrons, but I'm trying some different plants since I am rather bored of my philodendrons. Can anyone suggest some hardy plants that don't require much light?

9. Marn

hey Missy ..
    another easy plant to look after is the wandering jews .. there are so many types and really pretty .. and grow fast and really fill a hanging basket and they love morning sun I have one that i have to always cut back . and also so easy to root .

good luck with them

Marn

10. Missychele

Missychele Member

It's funny you should suggest a Wandering Jew. My boyfriend's sister had a plant that I kept admiring. I finally found out what it was last night. I want one so bad, but it's hard to find interesting plants where I am. You can find very ordinary plants around here. I might check Home Depot since that's where I found my spider plant. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. Marn

LOL.. well get a couple of clippings it wont take long b 4 u fill a basket . and they r kool .. Home Depot usually has a good choice of plants so u should find some nice ones there ..

Marn

12. Missychele

Missychele Member

Hey, Marn -
    I went to Home Depot and I found a wandering jew. It's the not like the one I wanted, but it's still nice. This one is almost all green, but has a purple underside. I want the purple heart wandering jew, I think, anyway, the one with stripes. Maybe if I keep looking I'll find one. I also got a lipstick plant as well. I've never owned any of these types of plants before, so wish me luck;-) I'd upload a picture of them, but my batteries are dead on my camera.

13. Marn

oh that is kool ... keep it in the morning sun both of them .. and they will do fine .. the purple heart is kinda long narrow leaves and a real deep purple (under good light) .if not gettin enough light it will turn a pale purple greenish .. cant wait to see the pics of the plants ya got .. i think i have about 8 diff kinds of wandering jews .. I have a bolivian Jew and that thing has grown wild .. *out of control* ..lol.. the more i trim the more it grows and fast ..lol..

Marn