I am afraid my plant is dying, it's my first orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by collegemomma78, Apr 22, 2009.

1. collegemomma78

collegemomma78 Member

This is my first orchid and I admitt it was at wal-mart, on sale. The directions stated to throw 3 ice cubes in a week. This DOES NOT sound right to me at all. I am not sure what kind of orchid this is (I misplaced the tag). I have no idea how to care for an orchid and it looks like it may hurt itself by the roots sufficating, but its not in dirt, kinda looks like mulch. Do I repot it in a larger pot? What is it planted in? How do I water it, with ice cubes? HELP ME PLEASE

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello there, your Phalaenopsis is planted in the correct for retail medium. The ice cube watering is rather strange... tepid or room temp. watering (keep moist and warm....) and allow minimal drying. Die back from after flowering is inevitable, however, with a little research, on the net look up the appropriate care, I would likely write up a novel here...

Ideal temps. 20- 25c daytime, and 16-20c at night....

Bright filtered light.

Good luck, they are a gem of a plant.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yes, that ice cube thing is bizarre. Don't do it! K.B. is right: use tepid water---not frozen!

Your plant looks pretty good. Roots like this are normal for a phalaenopsis. They are epiphytes and hang their roots out all over the place to absorb moisture and nutrients---can grow in moss, like yours, orchid bark (most of mine do, as I prefer the better air circulation around the roots), inorganic media, or even nothing at all! As with any plant, try to reproduce its natural growing conditions. I mist mine daily. Moist but never soggy. As for flower stems, I leave mine until they are obviously done, then clip. ---Consider repotting fairly soon, so that the roots sustain the least damage possible when extracted from the current pot.

4. collegemomma78

collegemomma78 Member

Thank you so much, both of you have been very helpful

5. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Yes let's nip that ice cube thing in the bud. I know of a possible application involving ice that might work (to induce blooming in cool fall type Cymbidiums) but Phalaenopsis certainly wouldn't enjoy the experience being descended from tropical species. Your plant looks healthy to me too.

Shaun

6. daniloui9498

daniloui9498 Member

PLEASE DON'T TRY THE ICE CUBE TREATMENT!!! My dad had read that and told me to do it when my son surprised me with my first orchid plant, big mistake. It is now dying.....I know nothing about plants but always wanted one of this plants and my 11 year old son took his only $20 and bought me one. I asked my dad right away who usually has "a green thumb" how to take care of it and told me about the ice trick. I was watering it on my own but started the STUPID ice thing. Like I said I know nothing about plants, which is why I never spent the money on the plant in the first place. Now I have limp petals with brown edges and have NO idea what to do now.
    HELP!
    I have read to change the pot but I am afaid to do anything. Thankfully I have a friend who owns a florist and I am going to take it there on bended knee with hope that it will be saved.