Hylocereus from "Moon Cactus" ???

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by The New Guy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. The New Guy

The New Guy Active Member

I have been reading that "Moon Cacti" actually consist of a Gymnocalycium grafted onto a Hylocereus. Since "Moon Cacti" are easily found, could one be used as a "shortcut" to obtaining a Hylocereus? If the Gymnocalycium is cut off, the already-rooted Hylocereus would start growing for itself, right? What species of Hylocereus is typically used for "Moon Cacti" ?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd just locate a mailorder supplier of the desired species and order from them instead.

3. The New Guy

I have been having the hardest time trying to find Hylocereus suppliers. I have found a few sources for seeds, but only one company in the U.S. for a rooted plant. I have never tried to grow a cactus from seeds before (I have some prickly pear seeds now that I'm going to plant for the first time), so I don't trust myself with buying the seeds quite yet. As for the rooted plant, I much prefer it, but they were charging something like $30 for a young plant, approx. 1 ft tall. That's a little pricy for me, especially if I end up killing it. That's why I came up with the idea of "practicing" with a cheaply bought "Moon cactus" before shelling out the "big bucks" for a young Hylocereus. Just an idea. So, it really doesn't matter what the exact species is, I was just asking out of curiosity. (Although, I would prefer if it at least bloomed, eventually.)

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

For a live-growth Hyocereus, you can try asking Richard at http://www.plantsthatproduce.com/ about suppliers. If I recall correctly, he's growing them. If not, he'll know who is and will be able to point you in the right direction.

5. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Yes, you can use the grafting stock like that.

6. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Couldn't hurt I don't think. It's at least worth a try. My hypothesis is that it will make another plant grow out from the side, since the top (growing part) has been cut off. I'd be sure to cut off at least an inch below the grafted cactus, to be sure there is no "cell confusion" (is there such a thing?)

7. The New Guy

Thanks again, Lorax. I will get in touch with Richard.

I still might try my "Moon Cactus" idea, though. Now, I'm just curious to see what would happen, more than anything else.

You're right, Laticauda, it is worth a try. I thought of the side growth, too. In that case, I would tilt the base plant and replant it to allow the side growth to be the new vertical plant. Also, if enough of the Hylocereus is cut off with the Gymnocalycium, I might stick that in the soil as well, to see if I can keep it going, too.

8. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

When I tried this I waited until an offset had grown sufficiently big, then I cut it off and rooted it. I did this because I did not want a plant with a damaged top.
    It is not necessary to cut off a whole inch, a few mm below the scion will do.

9. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

quite often hylocereus used in grafting is not a good fruit producer (assuming thats what you want). many varieties and hybrids are pretty poor fruit (quantity) producers and are specifically bred for grafting. if thats not a worry, then your plant will work fine :)

ps. hylocereus plants are readily available online, as are seeds :)

10. The New Guy

Lorax,

I just wanted to let you know that I spoke with Richard. I believe he stated that he is growing two plants each of about five different varieties/hybrids. Richard offers cuttings from his plants.

I will continue to try to find a cheap rooted plant, but if I don’t, I might just buy a cutting from Richard.

Thanks again.