hydrangea

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jessiehewong, May 31, 2011.

1. jessiehewong

jessiehewong Active Member

Hi,

I have heard that the color of hydrangea flowers depends on the soil content. Several friends have applied aluminium sulphate and get blue flowers... I have regular soil, compost type, a bit of sand, and some Dutch treat type of soil, the flowers are always pink. I like dark red flowers....
    Anyone has any idea what to do to get red flowers??? Any help will be appreciated...thank you..

jessie

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The colour change of hydrangeas due to soil chemistry only occurs in some species and only changes the flowers pink to blue or blue to pink. You would have to purchase a red flowered cultivar to get red flowers. There are some nice ones on the market.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/colorchange.html

3. jessiehewong

Thank you very much. I actually planted hydrangea from the mother plant which had dark red flowers a year ago. The flowers turned out to be pink. Strange??? How I got it? I got a branch from the mother plant and planted it in the soil in early spring, it grew to a real plant and gave pink flowers. It is bigger now, still pink.... very strong tree...
    I will read the website you gave. Thank you very much for sharing....

jessie

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The usual two combinations are red in alkaline soils vs purple in acid or pink in alkaline vs blue in acid. For some reason yours has paled to pink instead of remaining strongly colored (red or purple).

5. jessiehewong

Thank you so much. May be I can do something to strengthen the red color.....that will be perfect... I really have better understanding of my hydrangea now.
    Thanks.
    jessie