Hydrangea

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by rtitle, May 6, 2008.

1. rtitle

rtitle Member

I Have Two Small Hygrangea In One Gallon Pots
    What Would Be The Right Size Pot To Keep Them In For Future Growth?
    Thanks In The Desert(they Are In The Shade)
    Roberta

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they're going to need watering daily if you keep them in containers. even in the ground they're going to need water daily.

the area you live in really isn't condusive to hydrangea - they like shade, they are thirsty buggers and they don't do all that well in extremes of heat.

i water mine almost on a daily basis and it's no where near the conditions you've got - even when we're in a drought.

i wish you the best of luck with them!!

do you know how old they are? if only a few years, i'd keep them in that same size container, or maybe something an inch or so more in diameter, and definitely something that's deep. it should have drainage holes at the bottom, also.

if you have to choose between deep or wide, go with deep...the more soil there to keep the roots protected the better.

use a good loamy soil - make sure to mix potting soil and some compost or manure in just about equal parts...throw in some potting sand or perlite for added drainage. you want a soil that will retain a good amount of moisture without being totally soggy. as i said, with the temps you get and the dryness, you're going to need to water them daily.

oh, water in the morning and do so at soil level - splashing water on the leaves will cause problems.

3. rtitle

rtitle Member

thanks so much
    they are doing well this year
    last year when i bought them they were in a partial shade, and lost all their leaves
    now that they are in the shade they are doing well and i do water them every day
    rtitle