Hydrangea Neither Dead nor "Alive"

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by BabyG, Apr 23, 2006.

1. BabyG

BabyG Member

Hi,

I bought a hydrangrea, from a nursery about 3-4 years ago and planted it in front of my house where there is full sun all day till late afternoon. Its blossoms are supposed to be white but i don't know what type now (never seen much leaves .. let alone blossoms). It seems it only tends to sprout several leaves every year ... but thats it. Its the same size it was at the beginning (about 3/4 of a foot) .. and it looks like dry dead sticks until a few leaves sprout in the spring the next year.. and die off in the winter. Whats wrongs with this plant? Or what am I doing wrong? I just water it.. but never done anything else to it.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pull it up, shake the soil off and replant in a different spot. Mulch and keep watered.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

plant it in a sheltered position.......if memory serves me, some hydrangeas produce the flower buds on a previous years growth...so in a very cold area the frost may be damaging the plant too much, so your losing the flowers.

4. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

I don't know much about hydrangeas, but we've had some brutal (early) frosts and it looks like the leaves are really frost-damaged. I'm hoping the wood a little harder to freeze (I'd imagine so, but how much, I'm not sure). The Lady in Red Hydrangea we have is cold-hardy to -10 F.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006