Propagation: Hydrangea Cuttings

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by johnnyjumpup, Oct 25, 2008.

1. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

I took some hydrangea cuttings the 28 Aug and have them in cutting soil (perlite and sand) in little plastic bag greenhouses. Some are showing new growth. I have them in the unheated porch, southwest facing. It has been below zero outside several times already this fall.

My question is: Should I repot the ones showing new growth into regular potting soil or leave them in the little "greenhouses" until the spring and then pot them on? Should I put them outside in the garden and cover them with a foot of leaves? We get 3 or 4 feet of snow here. I think they might be too tender to plant outside right out of the greenhouses but could harden them off for two or three weeks before planting them outside.

I have Annabelle, Bluebird, and one I think is too tender for me but I really am intrigued by, Preziosa. I am willing to keep Preziosa as a houseplant that goes outside during the summer. I don't know whether it would be better off in the potting shed for the winter where it doesn't go much below 0C. Will hydrangeas lose their leaves in the winter if they are inside? I would prefer not the have to baby it through the winter after the first year.

I appreciate any info you can give me.

Thank you.