Hydrangea aspera .. out of control

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by grdnstff, Dec 5, 2007.

1. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

hello .. am looking for some assistance with a H. aspera growing in a garden i have just started looking after .. never come across this hydrangea before .. it is about 15' tall .. bloomed beautifully last year .. however, it needs to be cut back within the realm of the existing garden .. i am not too concerned about whether it will produce flowers next year .. more concerned about the best way to approach bringing it 'back into the fold' .. would really like to prune it back now .. any thoughts appreciated ..

thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ideally the site would be modified to accommodate the large impressive specimen. Failing that, it can be cut down to stumps in spring and will bounce back. This will have to be done again sometime in future as it attempt to eventually regain its former stature.

3. grdnstff

hi, ron .. thanks for your input .. i must say, it is an impressive specimen, and i trust that it will be again, once i've cut it back .. do you think it would be alright to cut it back by about 1/2 now and then finish the job in early spring? .. right now it waves about in the winter winds, and i'm a bit concerned it will be broken off ..

thanks

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Doubt cutting it now would kill it.

5. grdnstff

that's what i was thinking, too .. it's a rather vigorous specimen .. i think it would take more than cutting it now to kill it .. i appreciate your time, ron .. thanks ..