Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris compete with tree roots, ok?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by kerria, Apr 21, 2009.

1. kerria

kerria Member

Hi Everyone,

There are three climbing hydrangea vine plants that i've been growing in pots outside for about three years and i'd like to transplant them. I've read about their ability to climb trees- do you think it would be ok to plant one at the bottom of a full-grown 20' tall Japanese maple tree? Would it fair ok with competing with the roots of the maple?
    Also- right now there is so much Hedera helix all over my yard- these vines are covering the tree partially now, i can try to cut them but they're relentless. Does anyone have any experience with having climbing hydrangea and english ivy and using trees for support?

If this combination would be ok, what would be the best way to prepare the soil when i plant the H. vine?

Thank you so much,

kerria

2. kerria

kerria Member

Hi All,

Just now i've decided to go ahead and plant the climbing hydrangea vine under the Japanese maple. If i wait i'll probably waste another three years growing it in a pot and who knows if i'll lose them anyways.
    I spent some time clearing at the base of the tree and there are other plants that survived well even in the tangled mess of hedera helix below- plants like dandelion and grass and a stray rosa multiflora seedling. After clearing a 2'x2' space i filled with some leaf compost with a lot of worms, we just had a few days of good rain, so i'm putting one of the vines in. The hyrangea vine plants are all really well branched now, about five 3-4' long branches. i had to break a root that grew into the ground under the container.
    It will be a good experiment. I'll let you know how it goes, and if all fails and it doesn't make it - i still have the other two. One i may use in the place it's at - as a ground cover because they're already doing well there.

Please feel free to write- give advice /opinions about growing hydrangea vine. I Love this plant so much since seeing it at the arboretum where i work.

kerria

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wouldn't spoil the maple with this vine. Better used on a long, bare conifer trunk. If this is feature is still present you can see both climbing hydrangea and Japanese hydrangea vine near one another on trunks of Douglas firs in the camellia section of the Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle.

4. kerria

kerria Member

Hi Ron,

Yes- I have seen both vines growing together- at the arboretum here both Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris and Schizophragma hydrangeoides were interwined growing on a large stone wall. So awesome, so full and beautiful together.

If i had a tall conifer i would plant the vine there- but i don't- and i really want the hydrangea vine. Also the maple needs something- it's stout and full and geometrically round. Yuccy shape - and there's another J.M planted on the other side of the front center walkway, (it has a 'twin') with thankfully a better shape. I'm working with what i have and have no other place and can imagine the beautiful vine giving interest to the tree, making it not seem so round. I think the textures and colors would go together, both Japanese.
    The english ivy is terrible- i pulled a lot of it out, also honeysuckle. yuk.
    i hope it works bc i love H. vine.

Don't you? It's beautiful- what's not to like? If it ends up taking over the tree (but i don't think so bc it develops it's own woody support in itself) i wouldn't mind it. we still have the other JM nearby.

Thank You for writing.

kerria

T