Propagation: Hoya propagation questions

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by theroc1217, Dec 24, 2011.

1. theroc1217

theroc1217 Member

Where does a hoya begin to grow from when you take a stem cutting? I have about a cutting with two large, lime green leaves and about 12cm of stem beneath that. I dusted the stem with rooting hormone and have it in a container of vermiculite in one of my humidity tanks (an old fish tank with about 2cm of water in the bottom and a bag over the top). I had to remove another cutting from the same pot recently and saw what looked like a small root on it, but it's only been a week and a half so I'm not worried yet.

I have 7 others that have 2 leaves, a small stem and growing roots, but no indications of further growth. Will these start growing from a site at the base of the leaves?

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

They could start from any one of the leaf nodes above the soil, possibly the top node. Adding extra fluorescent light close-up really helps these kinds of cuttings.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Hoyas can be slooooow growers, so give them plenty of time to get going, it could be many months if not longer.