How to prune an Arbutus

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Lydia532, May 19, 2010.

1. Lydia532

Lydia532 Member

Arbutus grow like weeds in my yard, volunteers from neighboring greenbelt. I love the look but on a 1/3 acre lot it would not be pudent to let them grow. I would like to keep a few as smaller pruned specimens but I am not sure how to go about it. Some are single trunked and others are multi. Should I cut the central leader? If I don't prune them I will have to remove them and I hate to do that.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know much about the actual pruning, but I have seen a few specimens that were kept in a shrub shape in small yards--one I know is pruned into a rather severe umbrella shape--so they must tolerate it OK. I would be very careful about the potential for spreading any pathogens. Make sure you clean your tools between each cut (wipe with bleach or alcohol and wipe blade dry.)

I have to say the trees are much more beautiful when left natural. The trunk and shedding bark are the most beautiful aspects of the trees.

3. Lydia532

Lydia532 Member

I agree with all that you stated but I cannot keep them in my yard unless I prune them to keep their height under control as my property is not on the greenbelt. My choices are to prune or dig up. I'm hoping to prune if I can find some information on how to go about it correctly. I've searched other sights for specifics on the Arbutus but found nothing. I may just have to go with a general tree pruning regimen.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not bleach! That will corrode the metal, leaving microscopic pitting in the blade - invisible to the human eye, but ideal for storing and transporting infective material. Only use a non-corrosive disinfectant.

5. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

Have you considered limbing them up? That is, prune off the branches up to 12-15' height or so.

I have a seen a small grove on a 1/4 acre Bowen Island property where the branches are kept pruned off right at the main stem(s) to allow for light to come through. They have been that way for about 5 years and look great and healthy, and plenty of light gets into the yard.

A grove of Arbutus looks outstanding with drifts of daffodils, camas lilies, california poppy and shasta daisies beneath.

6. Lydia532

Lydia532 Member

Sounds beautiful! My concern is the height. If I let them grow I will obscure my neighbors views of the city. Even though we don't have community bylaws pertaining to this issue I would like to keep my neighbors as friends ; ) Thanks for the input!

7. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

If there are quite a few stems growing together, a good idea may be to select a few of the healthiest of them, well spaced apart, and remove the rest. The increased airflow from the spacing should help to reduce the chance of canker growth, a real problem here in Vancouver BC. If it can be helped, it is definitely better not to reduce the height of the trees. If you reduce them to only a few stems, the shape of a mature arbutus isn't normally a huge view-blocker. They normally have a relatively sparse canopy. They may actually serve to be a nice break in the viewscape. The harder you prune them, particularly with height reduction, will serve to make them grow thicker and bushier in the long-term. Also, each pruning cut could serve as an entry point for canker, so it should be done judiciously with this species.

8. Lydia532

Lydia532 Member

Thank you Jason. I am going to use your advice and sparingly prune. I have one that I will experiment on and see what the results are in the next few years.