British Columbia: How to help a tree that is drying up to the top.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Kazoo, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Kazoo

Kazoo New Member

Hello,

There are two trees near Roundhouse Community Centre that are drying up to the top. These trees are precious parts of this neighbourhood. I would appreciate advice on what I can do now to save them from dying.

I requested an inspection from the City of Vancouver. I was told that they are very busy, and it might take up to several weeks before someone can inspect. These trees might die before that. Could anyone please help?

I used to help with soil remediation and found out that many urban forests suffer from soil compaction. There are lots of kids and dog walkers on and around the tree roots. Perhaps, rainwater run-off increases and infiltration is not enough. I suppose some soil remediation will be required as well.

Species
    I do not know much about trees, but their leaves are fragrant. It looks similar to Katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) or Japanese Judas.

Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Impossible to tell what is needed from distance photos haven been taken

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

How much water does that tree get? There are so many problems that could be at play but, if it is mainly a lack of water, waiting a few weeks to find out could be the kiss of death if not too late already. Knowing what type of tree it is and seeing close-up photos would be very helpful.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Has anyone checked if the soil around the base of the trees is damp or dry? It should be inspected down to a depth of at least one foot. If it is dry, the problem and solution are obvious.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, except that there isn't really a source of water, or anyone responsible for watering them.
    There are a lot of katsura trees around, even on plazas like this - I'm surprised these would be more affected by the now dry conditions than others.
    The photos are really hard to see - is the tree on the left the same kind of tree?