how to grow a mango plant from seed

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by dogseadepression, Feb 15, 2006.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Very cool about your Nelumbo seedling, Nath.

Yeah, I think Lorax is referring to when it gets dark throughout Nov/Dec - in which case I could see the halide coming in handy. We haven't had a whole lot of sun here recently, and my mango tree looks like it's doing just that right now, Beth - surviving.

Good luck, Nath.

: )

2. Nath

Nath Active Member

That should have read Chupitos not cupitos.

I have put my pots in the warmest sunniest place in the conservatory so we'll see how they get on. I just need to make sure that they are kept reasonably warm with as much light as I can give them.

I will pot some more up over the next few days.

Nath

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

See what I mean Lorax, about just surviving? Time for a transplant and some time under the halide...

: )

Attached Files:

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Chupitos! Nath, the actual cultivar name is 'Ambajador' - aren't they just the best?!?

Sherry - what's the soil you have that little guy in? You may have a happier mango if it's got wicked fast drainage when you repot.

5. Nath

Nath Active Member

Lorax,

They are great and so sweet, you don't find that variety very often here in England. I have a mango in my smoothie every morning now at 7 am along with Toronja, naranja, fresas, uvas, sanoria, y Piña. Very nice keeps me going all morning until 1pm.

All fresh and full of bits very healthy.

Talking of FresasI decide d that I am going to try my hand at strawberries this coming year as I can't get enough of them. I have been reading though that they are very prone to slugs and some sort of white fly. I may have to try some of HBL's remedies on them unless I grow them in hanging baskets which is another option.

Nath

6. Timurv123

Timurv123 Member

ZekeStone is right,but,there is a easier way.I just put it in wet toilete paper,and,couple days ago,i saw a sprout coming out.I think that is the easiest way.Just one question:what will i do with avocado pit.I tried the toothpicks metod,but nothing.

7. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

I agree, putting mango seeds in a wet paper towel is an easy and fast method for germination. As far as avocados go, the toothpick method works pretty good, but keep in mind it takes a month for an avocado pit to germinate. Another good way to germinate avocado pits is to cut off about half an inch of the pointed end and place it in a soil with some sand in it. Place the pit in the soil with the cut end just a little bit above the soil level.

8. oberfeldwebel

oberfeldwebel Active Member

Hey Timurv123:

Sometimes it's the most simple and obvious details that elude us: Check your germination temperature. This would especially be an issue with seeds from species native to tropical or subtropical climates that are being germinated in more temperate climates during winter months. - Just an idea -

9. Timurv123

Timurv123 Member

Thanks.I now placed it in toilete paper and in plastic box,near the warm place.As the water evaporate,in box,the moisture level grows.Now (in the box) it is real tropical heaven.

10. Nath

Nath Active Member

I just noticed some new growth on my larger mango after its been dormant all winter, it lost a couple of its leaves while i was away for 5 weeks and it wasnt cared for as well as I would have liked so it was a relief to see new growth.

As to Papayas they are very easy to grow and if you plant them in the garden they will come up all over the place like weeds as they spread their tiny little seeds far and wide. You need to keep pinching of the stringy flowers to get them to grow up straight otherwise they will put all their energies into producing millions of tiny seeds.

11. jarrett622

jarrett622 Active Member

I'm going to give this a try. I just potted up a mango using a mix of soils: Succulents, reg, and some peat. The seed looks nice and healthy so we'll what happens. This sounds like fun. I'll let you all know what happens.

12. Nath

Nath Active Member

Good Luck with it Jarrett, keep it moist and warm and you should have a shoot in no time at all.

Nath

13. garbctor

garbctor Member

I thought planting mango from seed will just go fine. I planted different kind of mango seeds and all got tip burned, well, I don't have a picture now and I will try to take some and show you what I mean. I think they refer to this as tip dieback as well. Well, I am not sure what I am supposed to call it. I really feel disappointed. But I will keep on trying. Just I need some general guidlines. I will try to follow what jamkh wrote in the 5th reply in this thread.
    Any help?

14. jarrett622

jarrett622 Active Member

Well, I have a tree! Mango, that is. It was actually very easy! I'll get some pictures as soon as I have time. Note: I didn't know which way to plant the seed so I laid it on its side. Seemed to work just fine.

15. lvbgsiz

lvbgsiz Member

Thanks for the info Jarrett, What and how often do you feed the plant? Mine is about 2 feet tall and branching. I notice it does better when sitting outside even here in Virginia, but in the winter indoors it looses leaves after they dry at the tips and curl and fall off.

16. aspirine

aspirine Member

Hey guys, when I was removing the wooden cover, I broke a little edge of the giant bean.. Will this affect the germination?..

17. lorax

Maybe. It depends on how much broke off. If it's less than 1/10 of the total seed, you'll be fine.

18. aspirine

aspirine Member

So I think it will be fine. Thanks

19. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

After eating the mango I just put the mango seed in the planter in soil. After few weeks I see the plant sprouting out. I never had to do anything else.

20. tzesheng265

tzesheng265 Member

hey! i had recently planted a few mango seeds in the garden. Nothing is really happening, so i will wait awhile. for papayas, they really do grow fast. just put them a little bit beneath the soil and they would come out in about 10 days. happy gardening! oh, i live in Malaysia, a tropical country.

21. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

How do you grow Papaya?

22. tzesheng265

tzesheng265 Member

um, just put the papaya seeds under the soil about 1cm deep? then water it daily, not too much then it will grow real quick

23. lorax

Also from seed - keep the soil moist and warm.

24. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

You mean just eat papaya and plant the seed?

25. lorax

That's how I've always done it....