how to grow a mango plant from seed

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by dogseadepression, Feb 15, 2006.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks good to me, Nishi. If you're trying to force semidormancy over the winter, it will also help if you cut back the amount of light that the plant gets - here I actually have these shade-cloth throws for the worst of the dry season, and they go over any mango less than 5 years old. It seems to help.

2. soror Nishi

soror Nishi Member

ah, ok, thanks....we have low light levels forced upon us up here in the grey UK winters. It's 4 years old, and although small it is still alive so I must have got it nearly right.
    I am curious to know though if others have had leaf damage from cold or drought. It seems like the leaves weep some moisture at times from the edges which is what makes me think these cells are being damaged by the cold.

3. soror Nishi

soror Nishi Member

this is a Tamarind tree grown from a bean I bought in the supermarket, it might be one you would like to try. The leaves are very attractive, they 'close' in poor light levels.

Attached Files:

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd suspect your Mango has brown leaf edges from too low air humidity indoors in winter - it really wants conditions more like a Turkish bath, hot and steamy.

5. soror Nishi

soror Nishi Member

@ michael F.... thanks Michael.

6. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Love that Tamarind tree... hm... think I'm going to add 1 more to my jungle : )
    This is my 2 years old mango, don't know why it didn't grow like it should...

Attached Files:

7. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Sometimes if a plant is in too small a pot, it won't grow as big. Maybe you should re-pot it into something bigger and see if it puts on some growth for ya.

: )

8. jumpshelley

jumpshelley Member

HI YA'LL!!! I have a beautiful new baby Mango. Just sprouted today!! She is 1" tall and so slim. What a BEAUTY. I have named her Margie. I am gonna sprinkle a little seven dust around the top edge and under the pot. I have her on a patio table where she gets partial Morning sun. It didn't hurt that it rained on the seed last Tuesday and Friday. Well, Ginger is next!!

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Great news, Jumpshelley!!! Good for you!!!

: O

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Yippeeeeeee! My Julie Mango seed sprouted this weekend!

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's my little 'Julie' tree today...

Attached Files:

12. Nath

Nath Active Member

Very nice HBL, thats looking really healthy. I bought two more mango's today for making smoothies so I will have a crack at the seed of those when I've eaten the fruit. My other 2 are doing well though and I've repotted them.

Nath

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks Nath - let us know how yours do as well. I am pretty thrilled to be growing a mango tree! Wow.

14. lorax

Just wait until it's at about 10 leaves, Sherry - that's when they get fragrant....

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Welcome back, Lorax!

Really?!!! Now you've got me so excited. I can't wait for the smell...

16. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

I have mango tree at home which is 1 1/2 feet tall. I live in Edmonton, Alberta so it like an indoor plant. I didn't do anything special just planted the seed in the container and kept on watering it. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - a fine looking specimen, Chhaya! Thanks for sharing with us.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is how my little Julie mango tree looks now, after all this time. I find it to be slow growing, even though it is quite a bit bigger than the above picture.

Just took this shot now...

Attached Files:

19. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

this makes me want a mango plant so bad

20. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

You just have to wait till summer. Then buy a case of ripe yellow mangoes. Leave them to ripe for 2-3 days. Everytime you eat a mango, plant the seed with any other plant. Keep watering and be paitient and you will have your own mango plants. I have mango, banana & holy basil because they are considered to be holy plants.

21. Nath

Nath Active Member

My two mango's are doing ok, I have 3 more seeds of 2 different varieties in a glass of water soaking at the moment, will pot them up near a radiator and see what happens. Hopefully I'll have a few more.

Nath

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Good luck, Nath.

Do you have some supplemental lighting to offer your mango plants this Winter? I do, but wondered if the tree could survive the Winter in just a bright window...

23. lorax

Survive, yes. Thrive, no. I'd stick it under the halides with your bananas, if I were you.

24. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

Sorry to butt in, but my plants are surviving and thriving on just sunlight, soil and water. Oh and lots and lots of love too.

Attached Files:

25. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hi HBL, Lorax I have mine growing in the conservatory which has glass on three side so is warm even in Winter. I planted 3 more stones today and have 4 more magos to eat that we bought today. I have 3 different types now so cant't wait to eat the rest two of them are what we would call cupitos Beth will know what I mean by that they are so sweet!! Its weird I hate the texture of mangoes and apricots and peaches but I love the juice and make smoothies out of them along with grapes, strawberries and aoranges, papaya and grapefruit and pineapple every moring, it keeps me going untill 1 PM without needing to eat any more and keeps me healthy! Thats Latino living as when I lived back home in Mexico city I would always stop at Metro stop Miguel Angel de Quevedo dor un Jugo(Juice Smoothie) at 6 am to keep me going until lunch. Here in England with modern technology its easy to do this at home.

I sowed som Brugmansia today and 2 of my Nelumbo sprouted all that filing was worthwhile. Many thanks Tugo I think I am going to have a lot of fun with these Nelumbo you sent me.

Nath