how to grow a mango plant from seed

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by dogseadepression, Feb 15, 2006.

1. oberfeldwebel

oberfeldwebel Active Member

It won't take the winter here in zone 8

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

As for me, I am keeping mine in a pot, and bringing it in for winter, so it won't be a concern.

: )

3. Nath

Nath Active Member

I'm with you there HBL, my two are doing very well, must take some photos today.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Well...

I am proud to announce that my mango seed is now germinating!!! Yippeeeeeeee!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  5. osey

osey Member

When you say you're growing fruit trees, are you starting with the seed? What different types have you had success with? Thanks.

6. oberfeldwebel

***grins***

7. woodrow362

woodrow362 Member

kids down the block were selling mango's , so I bought several..I came to this site to find out how to start a mango tree.Got some very useful idea's..I just filled a pot up with good soil and added the seed, doing nothing else but keeping it moist..Several days later ummmmmmmmm 7 or 8 days I had a sprout and within a few more days a mini tree.. I more or less let nature take its course.
    I live in florida , so I'm hoping it will do well

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Good luck, Woodrow!

Mine's doing great. This is the same sprout from my post above. Look at what it's growing into!!!...

: O

Attached Files:

9. oberfeldwebel

Yup, There's another guy on here in Florida who has a mango tree in his yard so you'll prolly do just fine.....though I think he's in Miami.... If you're in a similar climate you should be fine - I'bd just be sure not to plant it too close to the house...

10. oberfeldwebel

mine is looking about the same, hollyberrylady.... I think it's about time to repot mine though...

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Yours looks like it's in a huge pot already!

Mine is smaller but hasn't filled with roots yet completely. Gonna wait a bit longer before I repot...

12. PlantAvenue

PlantAvenue Member

I found an avocado pit in my compost pile that had sprouted. I planted it in a pot in my garden and it thrived, until the fall when the temperature dropped. I wish now that I had done a bit of research - I would have brought the plant indoors over the winter.

13. oberfeldwebel

I hate when that happens

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Sorry, PlantAvenue.

: (

...but I hope you enjoy UBC Gardening Forum!

15. PlantAvenue

PlantAvenue Member

16. visarlene

visarlene Member

I thought you might like to see a photo of the mango I planted about a year ago. This photo was taken last month on the 4th of July when it was about 35" tall at its highest point and it measures about 36" now. The seed that it grew from came from the most delicious and juicy mango I've ever tasted but I've heard that the mangos from this plant might not taste the same. Time will tell! If we escape hurricanes for the next several years here in South Florida and this plant survives I will continue to give you feedback on its progress.

If you do an advanced search in this thread for my username, visarlene, you can see a couple of pictures of this plant when it was just sprouting. Or go to Messages #18, #30, and this one #124 for the photos. I had planted the seed in a pot of soil and it sprouted and grew roots; I did not open the seed first, just let nature take its course.

This mango variety is a Diplomatico.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Winn winn likes this.
  17. The Hollyberry Lady

What an absolute gorgeous specimen, Visarlene!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

18. Nath

Nath Active Member

Visarlene thats great good to see your mango flourishing. Mine is doing great now I noticed today that above the crown of the tree a new layer is growing forming a new crown. This mango reall does grow quickly it will soon be a foot tall in just a couple of months. The other one has only reached 2 inches in the same time period. I'm not sure which variety each one is but I'm looking forward to them shooting up.

Nath

19. visarlene

visarlene Member

Nath: I'm glad your mango is doing well. You'll find that at a certain point it will seem to stop growing in height but instead will branch off and start getting fuller. I saw your photos. Looks like you are on your way!

Hollyberry Lady: I hope you are continuing to have luck with your mango growing as well. It really is very exciting watching the development. It takes time and patience, but wonderful and rewarding watching Mother Nature at work!

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Um, I had to remove some of my leaves because they got ugly brown spots on them, from my dishsoap not being rinced off!

I was trying to get rid of a couple lingering aphids off the leaves but must have forgot to rince. Not at all like me, but I guess stuff happens sometimes. New perfect leaves are growing again though, so I will be much more careful next time...

21. jumpshelley

jumpshelley Member

Hi Yall! I am in Central Texas. It is hot here,but I live at the lake,so we'll give it a try. Ate my yummy Mango yesterday so I will push that seed in a pot with miracle grow(after kissing it goodbye) and will let you know if anything happens. Bought the Mango at Whole Foods up in Plano,tx. I have a lovely Rubber tree plant that loves it out doors here in the heat...We'll see, will the Mango adapt?

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Good luck, Jumpshelley. Hope it works out for you. I will show shots of my new mango plant soon.

Also, I recently received a seed for a Julie Mango, and I am waiting for it to germinate...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  23. oberfeldwebel

Visarlene: Yeah I've heard the same thing from a few people. I'm not sure if it's the nature of the hybridization or because it's self-pollinating but lots of fruits these days don't produce progeny that are true to the parent. Some won't even produce viable seeds. One reason I've heard is that the growers do this intentionally to keep others from 'pirating' their strains.... sorta like what they do with software or media to keep people from making illegal copies.

Jumpshelly: Heat prolly won't be your issue as much as season-change. Mangoes enjoy full sun all year-round in their native habitat (unless of course it's raining) :-)

24. jumpshelley

jumpshelley Member

Thanks, I placed the seed in a small bowl of water for a few hours, and it started already, so it is in a pot outside. Even if it doesn't bear fruit, the pics of trees looked sorta like a Magnolia. Would be neat, unless I have too many bugs here at the lake?

25. soror Nishi

soror Nishi Member

P9011282.JPG

P9011280.JPG

P9011279.JPG

OK...so thats how it looks, maybe the most northerly mango I know...:))

I wonder if it's a case of (over)watering more in the summer, maybe a porous pot and keeping very dry in the winter, that's certainly what I have tried to do, but obviously the humidity and temperature are against me.