How to get rosebush cuttings to root

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by mcallander, Jan 6, 2008.

1. mcallander

mcallander Member

We have tried several times to get cuttings to root from a rose bush that was at our old home. It is at least 50 years old, and very healthy. Are there any tricks to getting results? Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Easiest method is to take pencil-sizes pieces of mature (firm) current season's growth in October and insert it to within 1-2 in. of the top in loose, sandy soil. Pieces that have demonstrated they have rooted by flushing and keeping new top growth the following year can be carefully lifted and replanted or potted the following fall or winter.

Some roses are not easy to root, it depends on the particular variety. If you were to find out what kind of rose you are working with you might discover it was one that does not root readily, although many do root from cuttings so the likelihood is probably greater that there has been a problem with your method.

3. mcallander

mcallander Member

My sister tried rooting cuttings with water and root starter (I think that's what it's called). I will give her your tips-I'm hopeful now. Thank you!

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008