How to dispose of invasive plant seeds?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by trishmarg, May 10, 2007.

1. trishmarg

trishmarg Member

Hello,

I have been going through some seeds my mom had when she died, and there are a number of them that have been declared as noxious or invasive weeds (dame's rocket, shasta daisy etc.) I want to destroy the seeds so that they won't be found floating downstream somewhere. Does anyone know of the best way to dispoose of these seeds?

Thank you, Trish

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Boil them for a few minutes.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Boy, I wish I was that responsible - I had no idea those were noxious. I would think just soaking till they sprout, and then drying out, would work too.

Or baking, come to think of it.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Fireplace.

5. Artemisia

Artemisia Member

Well, this is not to answer your question, but with respect, shasta daisies are a problem? I googled them and saw no reference to that. In terms of invasiveness, sometimes the location is relevant. For example, Hall's honeysuckle is a problem in the southeastern US but I don't believe it is so here in southwestern BC.

I treasure the dame's rocket that has come to my garden. It is fragrant, the butterflies love it, and it is pretty. These are all valuable qualities to me. Yes, it self-sows, but it is easy to pull it out of where I don't want it. I can't see trying to ban it! Now broom, on the other hand... that is a problem!!! : )

April

6. trishmarg

trishmarg Member

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses. I personally have had huge problems with Shasta daisies, after starting from seed one year. I love the look of them, they are so fresh and cheerful... While I have trouble growing some things :), these just didn't know when to stop. They self seeded everywhere, and if given the chance to grow, would choke out their neighbours, and they seeded themselves everywhere. I won't have them in my garden again, but I do love the look of them.
    I certainly could have mixed up my lists, and dame's rocket might not be invasive, and I appreciate the comments about it attracting butterflies, something I am currently trying to do.
    Thanks for all your help, and wisdom

Trish

7. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

Trish, I have shasta daisies and am in BC also. I find that my daisies grow only where they are planted. I have never seen any that are invasive.

8. trishmarg

trishmarg Member

Hello again,

I just checked the invasive species list, and it appears that oxeye daisies are invasive. How do you tell the difference between the two? Maybe I actually planted oxeye daisy?
    Trish

9. Artemisia

Artemisia Member

Oxeye daisy is the one you see in the wild, Trish. The Shasta daisy is a bigger plant with bigger flowers, altogether fuller. I would think if the seeds came from a regular nursery (as opposed to one for native plants) it would be the Shasta daisy. But if it is spreading like crazy, then I think it must be oxeye. You could try googling images of both to compare.

April

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

11. samljer

samljer Active Member

I had a few seeds given to me by a cousin of mine.
    He told me what they where and he didnt want them.

i just put them all into a plastic baggy and powdered the seeds
    with a hammer, and threw it out.