How to cut orange trees?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Mitschurin, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Mitschurin

Mitschurin Member

I live in the Philippines and I am trying to raise here orange trees!

I succeded to grow one orange tree from seeds of an orange, which we bought here. I have no idea what class of orange that is.

Now, here is my problem and I hope that somebody can help me!

My orange tree is now already five years old. It did not have any fruits yet.
    First it grew one stem about 100 cm high. There it grew 6 new branches, which spread out sideways in an angle of 45 degrees, first going up and the hanging sideways.
    Shortly after on all side-branches many new branches developed.
    These new branches are all growing straight up and are now themselves already more than two meters high and still growing!

Here my question: Should I cut back these branches or should I let them grow?

Please help!
    Thank you!
    Mitschurin

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

You generally don't have to prune citrus. If you do, you could delay fruiting, depending on just how big the trees are, and which variety.

Can you post a picture?

There are people here who really do know a lot about citrus growing and fruiting.

3. Mitschurin

Mitschurin Member

Sorry, but I cannot upload a picture.
    I know, that generally citrus trees do not need pruning. However, the sight of my orange tree bothers me some.

As I wrote, the tree first developed some branches in a hight of 1 meter, which then spread out sideways. From these branches then grew very many new branches straight up, now already 3-5 meter straight up! Most likely these are supposed to be the fruit bearing branches, but instead of bearing fruits they just grow straight up!

I have also mandarin trees, but like this orange tree I have never seen before! I looks more like a giant broom than like a tree.