how to care a bottle tree

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by jungleflame, Oct 8, 2009.

1. jungleflame

jungleflame Member

Dear All,
    I have a small wonderful bottle tree coming form middle east that has been planted in a pot since a couple of months and it seems to be in good conditions but I'm worried about how to care it during wintertime. Until now the weather is good and it's still sunny during the day but within the next 2-3 weeks I think I have to take it to my home because the outside temperature can go down untile zero degrees or also worst in the next 3 months. So I was wondering if anyone could give me advices about how to care it during cold season. I'm just an amateur so any suggestion will be appreciated.
    many thanks

jf

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it will need to be indoors over the winter, with a minimum of about 8 to 10°C. Keep it dryish, only a very little water.

3. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Just wondering, whats the scientific name for a bottle tree? It sounds interesting so I wanted to check it out - google seems to give be artificial bottle trees, which I'm sure is not what jungleflame is talking about!

Thanks

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

5. dougs

dougs Member

To my mind a Brachychiton Populneus is NOT a Bottle Tree but is a Kurrajong, this tree does not have a bottle shaped trunk but a tapered trunk. The true Bottle Tree is the Brachychiton Rupestris to see examples of true Bottle trees visit www.bottletrees.info
    Yes you will need to bring your tree inside during the frosty months, keep in the sunlight if possible and feed high Nitrogen (low Phosphorus) food and avoid having it sit in water...the roots will rot. Hope this assists. Doug

6. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Thanks for those links guys - they're really cool looking:)