How old is this cactus?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Alan Lewis, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis New Member

I collected this from a local residence after the new owners offered it for free. Their dog apparently kept sniffing it and stabbing its nose lol. It’s amazing. About the size of a beach ball and very heavy. That’s a 2 litre soda bottle for scale. Someone said it was about 15yrs old. Just wondering if that’s accurate. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

It looks older, but growth rate is strongly dependent on the growing conditions.

3. Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis New Member

Sub tropical climate, (south east Queensland Australia), shallow rocky pan hard soil contained in a mn elevated brick wall garden bed, no fertiliser, full sun

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd suspect 15 years is about right if it was growing in open ground. Remember it'll want a wide root run - you only have a tiny proportion of the roots there after digging it up; most will have broken off. With free root run in native soil, the roots will extend many metres. So a small pot as it appears to be in now, definitely won't suit its continued good health.

Very strange that their dog couldn't learn not to stick its nose in!!

5. Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis New Member

The pot is a metre wide and has far more soil than where it was growing. Fertilised and free draining. The roots you can see were the only roots - I checked thoroughly and the removal process was painfully slow and surgical. I believe it should be ok in that pot. At least for a few years

And yes, it must have been a rather dimwitted mutt lol
    pot

6. Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis New Member

Actually the pot is 1.3m wide. Just measured it