How much Sun can a Crimson Red (Laceleaf) Japanese Maple take?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rajbakhale, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rajbakhale

rajbakhale Member

I recently bought this beautiful tree but I think it is in a transplanting shock. It was initially planted in front of my house (Ashburn,VA zone 6 I think) where it received strong sun for 4..5 hrs a day. Because of reasons like planted too deep, water retaining clayish soil, strong sun, strong wind, transplantation shock.......the tree shed almost 100% of leaves. So I took it out, repotted into the same container it came in and placed it on my deck where it receives good sun only in the morning and partial shade for the rest. The soil in the container is a mix of tree/shub soil plus some top soil so that it could .
    Q1.How long (wk/mo) will it take for new leaves to come back?
    Q2.How long (wk/mo) is the shock period approximately?
    Q3.It is okay to let the soil dry completely between waterings?
    Q4.Do you experts have any other advise for this new fan of JM's

Thanks Raj

2. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I have seen maples put on limited new growth 2 weeks after defoliating, but it is no guarantee this time of the year. There is a "point of no return" where too much tissue is damaged and the tree can't recover. It sounds like you caught it in time, though, so don't worry. It is difficult to tell exactly how often the tree needs watering without getting a good handle on the drainage.

For an example, a large tree in a small container with loose well draining soil might need watering every day this time of year even with little sun, maybe even twice a day in full sun.

A tree in a heavy poorly draining clay soil may only need it 2 or 3 times a week this time of year. You will have to watch your soil carefully. Another method other than weight that I use is the sponge test (This is particularly useful for a new plant that you haven't gotten a feel for yet):
    If you can squeeze water out of the soil like a soaked sponge, it is still too wet and doesn't need any water yet (and it may be holding too much water if it has been like this for 6 or 8 hours or more). The soil is at a good moisture level if it is like a sponge that has been recently squeezed, but watering may be needed soon. If it is dried out, obviously you have gone too long and watering is needed. For this test you would check about 2 or more inches deep into the soil.

To the sun issue. In general I don't recommend JMs for parking lot full sun situations. However, I have seen them survive and even thrive in these conditions. You do need some sun to get the best coloration in your maple. Most laceleafs (perhaps with the exception of Red filigree lace and Red dragon) will need around 4 hours or more sun to get the good deep coloration...and keep it for most of the summer here in the southeast. Morning sun is obviously preferable because it limits the tip burning on the leaves.

In sunnier locations you must consider that the trees will need some additional water during summer months, especially the first couple of years. Older trees may only need this watering during drought stressed periods, but most all of them will appreciate consistent moisture during the summer. This only applies to in ground plantings, container growing is a different story.