How much greenhouse shade?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rockminer, Jan 10, 2007.

1. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Having just built a small conservatory/greenhouse addition to my home, I am curious if there are any sites that will tell how much shade is reccommended for a specific location. Vendors offer from 20% to 90% shade cloth in everything from metallic to black, white or a variety of colors. I am at latitude 41N 45', having clear and hot summer weather. The price of shade cloth being fairly high, I want to get the right stuff first time! Thanks for any ideas, Bill

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am thinking it would depend on what you are growing. around here I find the 60% shade most common. it helps keep the greenhouse cooler and curbs the penetration of sunlight preventing foliage burn on less tolerant plants.

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is species specific. In our rainforest atrium we grow plants that like bright light and others that prefer extremely low light levels. The majority probably prefer something in the middle, I'd guess 50%, perhaps a bit less. Before you spend the money on a specific grade of shade cloth you'd likely be better served to spend some time doing research on the type of plant or plants you wish to grow. On my own website I often try to recommend what type of light level good botanical sources recommend. If you are growing orchids you will want brighter light, just not direct sunlight. And then, that also depends on what species of orchids. Some such as vandas prefer much brighter light than others. Research your species then make your determination. This link may give you a few ideas: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Build your own tropical rainforest.html

4. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I move virtually all cactus, succulants, cymbidiums and broms outside in the spring and summer to the appropriate level of shade outside, leaving the tender and "rainforest" types in the conservatory; ie calathea, pilodendron and the tender orchids. I appreciate the responses and links. I probably try to do too large a variety in too little space--but love 'em all, LOL!

5. photopro

I doubt you are any different than the rest of us who try to grow everything we can! Specializing is often difficult and a lesson I am only slowly learning.

6. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

This is one question that did not plague me when I went shopping for saran cloth! There was only one choice locally: 50%!
    In looking at what my plants have done over these past few years: I grow a variety of orchids, tropicals, bromeliads, etc. what I have learned is to grow in tiers: shade loving plants in the shadiest part of the g/h, sun loving plants near the roof. I guess you could call it micronicheing within 45 sq. ft! I even grow a tropical moss on the concrete floor!
    For these reasons I am going to recommend 40% shade cloth especially if you are in Northern California. I am presuming that the g/h is not shaded by trees. With 40% you can meet the needs of the sun lovers. By arranging your plants on different strata within the greenhouse you can offset the impact of the shade cloth as the plants above will help in modifying the foot candles reaching the floor. If you have a photo meter then check it out without any shade cloth to see just what kind of readings you get in different strata of the greenhouse or in different areas at different times of the day. I would recommend a map of ft candles availability drawn up for the g/h before planting it or even one of what you are aiming for.
    With 40% you can add another layer to increase the shading impact-there are many alternatives to the approach.

7. photopro

That is as good advice as I can imagine! In my atrium I have artifically created a "canopy" by growing large leaved plants scuh as banana, Bird of Paradise and large alocasias that reach for the 17 foot ceiling. Beneath those plants I arrange plants so the ones that love less and less light get progressively closer to the ground just as they do in nature. Amazing things we can learn by observing what Mother Nature does herself! My atrium is a bit different from most greenhouses in that most plants are actually planted and epiphytes are for the most part actually growing on something such as trees or artifically created "logs". But Terrestrial Man has it down pat and the advice is right on target. 40% would be an excellent choice.

8. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Those are articulate and informative posts! I think that, related to my somewhat limited experiences, the advice sounds right on. My appreciation and thanks! Bill