how fast will my container grown specimen grow

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, May 27, 2021.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

I thought I would just chime in with another note on container growing of japanese maples.
    I was looking for some of our nursery photo's from the 90's and I came across this article (first photo). We did have a couple of garden magazines come to our property to do stories and photo shoots back in the day.

This particular photo is of our 16 year old "Seiryu" ( at the time) displaying its beautiful fall colors. Back then it was 16 years old and in a 2' x 2' cedar box , 20" high.

Fast forward 21 years and now in 2021 the same tree is minimally larger in size but in a smaller box - 18" x 18" by 16" high.

I re potted this tree two years ago into the smaller box. I removed from original box in late fall and took my saw and cut back 6" all the way around and also in depth.

When a container specimen is grown its whole life in the pot you have a very fiborous root structure, no big leggy roots at all.

Keep your tree in its pot until it can be removed like a solid plug, no need to move into a pot that is too big for the tree. This will result in formation of leggy roots that are not needed in a container environment. If you want a large pot for decorative or insulating purposes, just keep the tree in your small pot and set inside and cover with soil

I guess my point is, let your maple grow naturally in a suitable size pot without the aid of unnecessary fertilizers other then one application of slow release in the spring to compensate for being in the container rather then the ground. Japanese maples are slow growers, just add water let them be.

... and yes, we did stain the exterior of our house from white (1996) to red..

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    AlainK, Ninthofmarch, maf and 4 others like this.
  2. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Wow Otto, those two are absolutely wonderful.

Hold on a sec, I just realized they are the same tree. That's even better.

Would it grow larger in full ground, this particular specimen?

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Now that is what a Seiryu should look like IMO. Great thread Otto, should be very helpful for a lot of members.

4. Otto Bjornson

Here is the same sister tree, same age but now in the garden for 20 years ( it was in a container until 2000). Just took the photo this morning after a heavy rain so leaves are dropping substantially

The most notable difference is the continuous growth of new shoots all growing season. I do prune this one a couple of times a year during the growing season. As far as height goes, it would be approx. 2' taller (60 cm) then the one still in the container.

side note @Riverdale27, I see you are from Belgium! My wife is from the province of Limburg, Netherlands. We are in Holland often, hoping to go back next winter if covid restrictions are finally lifted

Attached Files:

AlainK and zfrittz like this.
  5. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Oh wow, its indeed larger but it wouldn't say the difference is massive. Seems like a container works pretty well for this one.

I'm indeed from Belgium, from Limburg as wel ;-) I don't know if you know the city Hasselt, but that's where I live ;)

6. Otto Bjornson

In my personal experience, the seiryu is one of the nicest cultivators to adapt to the container growing medium.

and @Riverdale27 not familiar with Hasselt. Spend lots of time in Weert, Wessem, Masbracht ( all in Limburg)

7. Ninthofmarch

Ninthofmarch New Member

Thanks for posting this Otto - I particularly appreciated this because I am growing a Seiryu in a pot too (:

To @Riverdale27, if you'd like to see a Seiryu in the ground, Arboretum Wespelaar has some magnificent specimens. They have three large Seiryu growing in a little grove, and other japanese maples too. I'm planning my next visit there in a couple of weeks and will try to take photos to share.