How does Alpine Mint Bush handle transplanting?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I want to transplant my Prostanthera cuneata (Alpine Mint Bush) in a few weeks but don't know what kind of root is has or if it can be moved successfully. There's nothing useful I can find online so just wondering if any of you have been successful moving this shrub. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2022
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have never knowingly had this plant — but a thought to prepare a back up plan for an unhappy transplant situation is to make some cuttings now

I looked for the Latin name plus the word propagation and there is advice online - such as this site below

Another Aussie site (gardens w Angus) talks about same plant and promotes fertilizer as « plant tucker » — it sounds so funny - reminds me of the cartoon called Footrot Flats — a sheepdog character who won’t divulge his real name — and is in love with a pretty female sheepdog — you get the picture! :)

Prostanthera cuneata - Growing Native Plants

3. Rosita

Rosita Member

Margot I have two prostanthera cuneata (Alpine bush mint) that I need to move this spring and I was wondering if your transplanting was successful. Thanks

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Rosita - I'm ashamed to admit that I have still not tried to transplant my alpine bush mint mainly because I can't find another place to put it. I have been meaning to start a couple of new plants as insurance but have not done that either. Now, your message has spurred me on to do something but my experience won't help you much at this point will it? Sorry.

5. Rosita

Rosita Member

Thanks Margot. I will have to move mine in the next few weeks so I will let you know how they do. They have become one of my favourite plants with their delicate foliage and lovely little flowers. I was told when I planted them that they were not that cold tolerant but they survived this cold winter just fine.